KVM vs VirtualBox

Story: Crash course: Virtualization with KVM on Ubuntu ServerTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 27, 2011
4:57 PM EDT
Do you have any performance statistics or comparissons, and can you import VirtualBox inages into KVM
techiem2

Oct 27, 2011
5:51 PM EDT
As I recall, Virtualbox uses its own disk image format, so to transfer them you have to run them through a conversion tool.
nikkels

Oct 28, 2011
3:25 AM EDT
Please, I beg you to forgive me for this Q, but.....can I do that on my normal desktop installation ? Does it has to be a server ? ?
tuxchick

Oct 28, 2011
1:42 PM EDT
Yes you can, Nikkels. The differences between server and desktop Ubuntus are minor-- some kernel tweaks, and the default Ubuntu Server installs without a GUI. The support options are also a little different.
tuxchick

Oct 28, 2011
2:33 PM EDT
I haven't tried any VMWare conversions. Converting from VirtualBox is easy. This howto is for migrating VMWare and VirtualBox to KVM. http://blog.michaelboman.org/2011/08/changing-virtualbox-to-...
techiem2

Oct 28, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
I use VirtualBox for quick and dirty vm testing and for desktop windows vms (like the one I run on my laptop just for netflix lol) (or for VMs where it will be hosted on some windows puter), but for any serious vms (like servers, etc.) I use KVM.
jdixon

Oct 28, 2011
8:52 PM EDT
> I use VirtualBox for quick and dirty vm testing and for desktop windows vms ... but for any serious vms (like servers, etc.) I use KVM.

That's probably a fair assessment. There are graphical front ends for kvm (I've looked at them, but building them for Slackware is non-trivial), but they're add-ons. For desktop use you want an easy to use graphical interface, which VirtualBox gives you. For server use you don't really want the added overhead, so KVM is the clear winner.
nikkels

Oct 28, 2011
9:45 PM EDT
Thanks guys. I will give it a go sometime. Right now I got other things on my head, like: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15442663 This pics are taken less than 1 KM from my house, and the river ( klong ) keeps flowing upwards instead of downwards.

BTW: I use virtualbox for years already, but keep reading that KVM is superior
tracyanne

Oct 29, 2011
3:36 AM EDT
@nikkels, Hope you don't get your feet wet
nikkels

Oct 29, 2011
4:01 AM EDT
about 20 cm to go, and I get a free foot wash
tuxchick

Oct 29, 2011
9:28 PM EDT
Yikes! Keep us posted, Nikkels! I hope you stay dry!
nikkels

Oct 29, 2011
11:19 PM EDT
about 15 or 16 cm spare, before.....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!