fool me once...

Story: Mea culpa: coming clean about my n00b Linux mistakesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2011
11:38 PM EDT
Not getting a second click from me, nope no way.
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2011
11:48 PM EDT
He's basically saying it's his fault for assuming you could mix and match distributions and package managers the way he did. It's a sort back handed swipe at Linux for not being what he assumed it is.
BernardSwiss

Nov 01, 2011
11:54 PM EDT
Very wise, TC. (I've been having a few "sick days", so I've had the time to waste. Perhaps I could have wasted it more productively)

Executive summary: Trolling in Grand style -- He's a wicked cool coder, Linux is a religion, Linux isn't appropriate for "Do It Yourself" or "real" user freedom.

Or, as someone else put it: "a whole lot of culpa, but precious little mea."

tuxchick

Nov 02, 2011
12:18 AM EDT
No worries, Bernard, LXer is all about letting readers decide what we want to read. Feel better soon!

Your executive summary is perfect :)
lcafiero

Nov 02, 2011
12:42 AM EDT
This guy's blog is entitled DIY-IT -- do it yourself IT. Isn't that a bit like DIY-surgery?

Both items were pretty weak, and he keeps displaying his ineptitude. Any minute now, someone's going to throw him a bigger shovel so he can keep digging himself into the hole he's dug.

Bernard -- get well soon!
Koriel

Nov 02, 2011
2:32 AM EDT
I heard he is renting a JCB for his next article!
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2011
9:09 AM EDT
Quoting:This guy's blog is entitled DIY-IT -- do it yourself IT. Isn't that a bit like DIY-surgery?

Good Lord! Have we sunk so far as to make an idiotic statement like that? No wonder so many developers are turning to Macs.

For the record:

A competent IT person d@mned well should be able to do their own IT. That's been the basis of many a start-up, and a good way to bring costs under control while trying to grow bigger.

Frankly, I'm shocked to see a statement like that on Lxer. I spend considerable time encouraging people to learn more about their systems and how to do things for themselves. As I recall, that was the genesis of free software.

Must be before your time.
gus3

Nov 02, 2011
9:19 AM EDT
"Those who do not know Unix are doomed to re-invent it... poorly."

The same goes for IT and surgery. Those who think their lack of training makes them more, ah, "flexible" will find out the only thing more flexible is their list of failure modes.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!