a reminder...

Story: File TransferTotal Replies: 19
Author Content

Nov 05, 2011
9:41 AM EDT
that we still operate in a client-server world.
mbaehrlxer

Nov 05, 2011
1:56 PM EDT
several years ago, a friend sent me a 20MB file (something i wanted to get). the file arrived just fine by email. but somehow the sending server didn't get the signal that the email had been delivered properly.

the result was that it sent it again.

and again.

and again.

until the disk was full. the trouble was that neither me, nor the sender could do anything to stop the flood. had to email the server admins to make them fix it.

greetings, eMBee.

and again...
BernardSwiss

Nov 05, 2011
4:55 PM EDT
What's burned me once was when someone sent me some big, BIG file.

My ISP did deliver it -- however this one file exceeded my email storage quota, and so no further emails were accepted to my account. However, as I was still able to Send emails, it took me some time to discover there was a problem.
mbaehrlxer

Nov 06, 2011
1:20 AM EDT
so how can we solve this problem of sending big files?

one possible solution to store attachments on a server and replace them with a download link. but for that to work the sender has to be registered with the server. it needs at least a verified email address for forwarding replies.

but would that be any better than megashare?

it would have to be easy enough for the common user but somehow pay itself without the annoying advertising (which means, non-annoying advertising could be ok. (like sourceforge downloads maybe))?

greetings, eMBee.
chalbersma

Nov 06, 2011
3:22 AM EDT
Try Opera Unite
mbaehrlxer

Nov 06, 2011
3:49 AM EDT
opera unite is a platform to create services, and is thus not a solution to the problem, only a tool to build a solution. i am asking how the solution itself should look like. also unite requires the opera browser which is covered the xkcd complaint of having to download software.

to reiterate:

* the solution needs to be purely webbased, no download of software should be required.

* it needs to be free of pesky adds and without delays. (non-pesky adds are ok)

* it needs to be easy to use: no complex signup.

how to make the signup easy without inviting spammers is one problem i can't figure out. how to make the service pay for itself with adds only is another. (is one add impression enough to pay for the download of a file of unknown size?

greetings, eMBee.
helios

Nov 07, 2011
10:52 AM EDT
Having need for several files while in the field, and having numerous prior convictions for walking off and leaving my thumb drive at home, I have a couple of backup (pun intended) plans to access them. However, they are far from ideal.

Unlike dropbox, Humyo.com offers 5 gigs of free space and that is plenty for my needs, while the 2 gigs offered by dropbox is not. And while any ol' internet connection will allow me to access my files, the download speeds are maddeningly slow. The upload speeds may have one considering self-inflicted knitting needles through the eyes.

Minus goes one step worse....while the up and down rates are no better than Humyo, once my upload is complete, it shows a zero kb size, regardless of the actual size of the file. My entire picture collection shows default icons for the picture, but it complains that the file isn't there when I try to execute it.

So, the cloud may be where Angels reside, but not my files it seems. I am thinking the cloud may be best placed around one's neck. I just need to find an unobtrusive way to make a thumb drive necklace that doesn't irritate me or possibly I will have one grafted onto my hand as a sixth digit. I will make an honest person out of who ever coined the term "thumb drive". As much as I dislike jewelery, the graft sounds plausible.
gus3

Nov 07, 2011
12:08 PM EDT
A 16G microSD in one's cell phone is a handy investment.

(As is the USB cable to connect same to any modern Linux desktop.)
mbaehrlxer

Nov 07, 2011
2:09 PM EDT
i keep thinking that i should get some thumb drives, but somehow they don't appeal to me. i don't really know why, but helios problems with them might have something to do with it. using the phone doesn't make me feel any better though...

hmm, how about the SD card in my camera? (i have used that one for file transfer before...)

greetings, eMBee.
techiem2

Nov 08, 2011
7:52 PM EDT
Quoting:Unlike dropbox, Humyo.com offers 5 gigs of free space and that is plenty for my needs, while the 2 gigs offered by dropbox is not.

Sadly that will no longer be the case after July 1 of next year due to the Trend Micro buyout.

Quoting:Your Trend Micro SafeSync account will be free until 1st July 2012. Following that, SafeSync costs as little as £24.95/year.
helios

Nov 08, 2011
10:01 PM EDT
Yeah, I saw that yesterday but for 50 gigs...I may look into it. D@mn shame the SafeSync software won't work with Linux.
techiem2

Nov 08, 2011
11:27 PM EDT
The question is, is that 24.95/yr for the 50GB account, or are they bumping us to some fancy high level account until July. :P

I rarely use it anyway. Most of my commonly used stuff is on one of my flash drives or portable hard drives.

If i need to get something else, I can usually scp it from home (or home to vps then vps to me). :P
helios

Nov 09, 2011
12:37 AM EDT
I've got my own little server set up at the HeliOS shop but we can only get our connection via a small rural wireless company so speeds "ain't all that". I guess the best thing IS to wear the cloud around your neck....I think I saw a 32 gig TD at Frys last week for 28.00. I can work with 32 gigs.

Right now I have several but again, making sure I don't leave home without them is the trick to master for me.
BernardSwiss

Nov 09, 2011
12:50 AM EDT
@helios

Just remember, USB 2 thumb-drives are NOT created equal -- some are two or three times faster than others. And this can matter, since they're not nearly as fast as hard-drives I highly recommend a little preparatory research into which reasonably-priced ones are faster (and for that matter, which ones are durable).
helios

Nov 09, 2011
1:02 AM EDT
which ones are durable.

Yep...the last "great deal" I got on a 16 gigger had the usb plug end disappear down into the plastic housing. I have temporarily fixed it with some hot glue but it's not gonna last. Yeah, you get what you pay for. Skip Guenter has a great little patriot that absolutely destroys anything else I've seen as far as speed goes but he paid almost twice what I paid for mine.
BernardSwiss

Nov 09, 2011
6:33 AM EDT
I have had good luck with Patriot brand USB sticks: They're not the cheapest, but they aren't expensive either, and they are fairly fast and durable (and they generally come with 5 year or lifetime warranties).
techiem2

Nov 09, 2011
7:26 AM EDT
Heh..I've only managed to kill one stick so far...sadly my Patriot as I recall...by plugging it in backwards into a broken USB port on a Dell (you know how they just love to put their ports backwards on the front of machines?....yeah....someone had broken the directional safeguard plastic out of it....and apparently flash drives don't like being plugged in backwards...).
mortenalver

Nov 09, 2011
8:06 AM EDT
The design of the USB connector (on the computer side) is crazy - it creates a perfect testing ground for Murphy's law. If the designers had any concern for the users of the standard, they would have specified a plug with a shape that clearly indicated which way it should go in.
helios

Nov 09, 2011
12:14 PM EDT
mortenalver - Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;-)

How long did it take manufacturers to understand that putting USB ports on THE FRONT of the computer is better than having your customer climb under his/her desk every time? I've learned to not assume anything about how it gets inserted these days...I've broken enough of them to learn.
JaseP

Nov 09, 2011
12:56 PM EDT
USB extension cables are your friend!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!