openSUSE 12.1 ?

Story: Trinity Project keeping 3.5 aliveTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 09, 2011
2:53 AM EDT
The article notes indicate that Trinity will be an option in the release of openSUSE 12.1 but the actual article does not say this. Any reference for this statement ? Assuming this is so, I am delighted. I have believed for some time that the tipping point for Trinity would be its inclusion in a major distribution and if this is about to happen then I think Trinity is now on the way as a serious DE for the original KDE user. Whatever, openSUSE is my favourite distribution and I will be most pleased to give Trinity a thorough workout.
nikkels

Nov 09, 2011
3:15 AM EDT
Suse had announced the inclusion of KDE3.5.x many months ago already. Glad they stuck with it. KDE4 file management is still....................( let me stay polite about it)....beta !
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
3:43 AM EDT
As an old time KDE3.5 user who moved to XFCE when KDE4 came along this will be on my list of things to checkout as soon as it arrives.
helios

Nov 09, 2011
12:32 PM EDT
I use Trinity on my machine at HeliOS. Every time I awaken it upon arrival in the mornings it's like coming home after a long string of stays in bad motels.

As much as I like Gnome2, it was a forced issue as I could not wait for KDE4 to get its act together and Gnome seemed like a safe harbor for me. My home machine is an extension of my work machine so I don't do anything but critical updates and I've locked it down to its current status for stability reasons. Should I reformat it, Trinity will be my go-to DE.

This is indeed good news.

JaseP

Nov 09, 2011
12:52 PM EDT
I didn't know anything about Trinity. I had switched over to Gnome 2.X, and really hadn't looked back ... Nice to know about it.

See, all those pessimists out there! Choice is alive & well on the Linux desktop!
cr

Nov 09, 2011
11:20 PM EDT
I like the fact that Trinity has picked up maintenance of Qt3 as well so there's no rug to be pulled out from under them.

I'm looking forward to throwing an install of Ubuntu 11.10 on a spare machine around here (because someone I advise uses it) and loading on Trinity as the default desktop. I hope somebody starts Trubuntu soon; having it handy to download would save me some steps.
kenjennings

Nov 10, 2011
1:16 AM EDT
Finally. Assuming this returns the KDE desktop to common sense usability, I may switch from LXDE. Six months of KDE4 nonsensical unintuitive weirdness made me switch to LXDE in the first place.
Koriel

Nov 10, 2011
1:21 AM EDT
I wish I had a dollar for every user that either went to XFCE or LXDE when KDE4 came along, I suspect I would be seriously rich by now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!