didn't work

Story: Want to watch British TV while abroad using Linux?Total Replies: 34
Author Content
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
followed instructions. ff reported not connected tot. set up tor on the port selektor using still no connection
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
7:45 PM EDT
@Tracy

Please ensure that your version of Tor is 2.2.26 or better older versions of Tor wont work with Selektor.

Go into preferences and click "Reset to Defaults" then quit and restart SelekTOR. That will give me a base line from which I can troubleshoot your problem.

Also what distro are you using, its been tested on Ubuntu, Mint and PCLinuxOS.

It will also be slow to start after it is first installed as Tor requires time to build its cache.
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
8:25 PM EDT
I used the version from the link you gave
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
8:33 PM EDT
Same here, Tor (Selektor) says it is connected, but Firefox says that it cannot connect.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
8:34 PM EDT
Does your distro not supply the tor client? that link is really only for worst case if its not supplied by your distro.

Could you go to a console and type

tor -v

and tell me the version number it reports.
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
8:39 PM EDT
I get:

Nov 09 16:39:14.678 [notice] Tor v0.2.2.34 (git-c55c166e73d500af). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Linux x86_64)

I tried Vidalia as well, not difference.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
8:41 PM EDT
@Skelband

Can you check in firefox preferences under Advanced>Network>Configure Internet Settings and ensure Use System Proxy Settings is selected.

Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
8:42 PM EDT
Thats good @Skelband you have the right version of Tor, try the firefox internet settings i mentioned
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
8:51 PM EDT
OK, I start Selektor (2.01 BTW). I wait a bit and it connects circuits and eventually a load of the nodes I have are marked as "Success" after it goes through it's rigmaroll.

"GB, Great Britain" is selected.

I use Tor Button to set up the proxy (right click "Tor Disabled" to change status to "Tor Enabled" in green).

Then, browsing anywhere, I get:

"The proxy server is refusing connections Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections."

Proxy settings are for "Manual":

HTTP using port 8118 SSL using port 8118 SOCKS on port 9050

Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
8:54 PM EDT
Do not use the tor button as that modifys your proxy settings wich will completely mess up Selektor, do not use any proxy addons such as foxyproxy either also disable Vidalia.

Selektor needs to handle all proxy settings itself for it to work correctly.

Proxy settings need to be on Use System Settings
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
9:03 PM EDT
OK, what's a good thing to try. I just have Selektor running, Firefox set to use system settings for proxy. Will BBC iPlayer work?

I don't seem to be able to get a connection to the content, which I guess is better than the usual "This is not available in your area" :D

Browsing generally seems to work though....

I;m just not sure how to verify that it is working.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
9:09 PM EDT
Use the "Check Tor Routing Status" button to confirm you are being routed through tor then try the Channel 4OD link in the article the BBC is haveing problems at the moment.

Let me know how it goes and try the BBC again, I just accessed Frozen Planet without a hitch.
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
9:19 PM EDT
I get

tracy@annie:~$ tor -v Nov 10 11:18:45.597 [notice] Tor v0.2.2.34 (git-c55c166e73d500af). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Linux x86_64) Nov 10 11:18:45.598 [warn] Command-line option '-v' with no value. Failing. Nov 10 11:18:45.598 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
9:22 PM EDT
@Tracy

Thats good.

When Selektor starts up does it go and fetch its exit nodes and populate the node table?
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
9:54 PM EDT
OK working now

Thanks
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
10:30 PM EDT
Nice, I see it is working - thanks!
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
10:31 PM EDT
However, 4OD says that the service is not available in my area.

BBC iPlayer also.

Something tells me that there are either problems with my setup, or they have cottened on to the Tor nodes IP addresses.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:17 PM EDT
@tracy Glad to hear it enjoy your viewing.

At the moment the sites I have listed on the article don't block Tor but their have been recent complaints regarding the BBC as they have completely given iPlayer a makeover and its still buggy.

If your getting the content not available message then Selektor is probably still not setup properly possibly due to the other Tor related apps you have installed. You might want to remove them and get a completely clean setup before installing Selektor, you can always reinstall them once Selektor is working.

Im currently watching Frozen Planet on the BBC here in Vermont.

Have also released updates since the article now at V2.01b

And for those that haven't figured it out Koriel == Bannor

skelband

Nov 09, 2011
11:19 PM EDT
OK, it turns out that Channel 4 wasn't in the pattern list. I've added it now and it is definatily going through the TOR network.

Trouble is, the latency is too great. Keep getting a lot of timeouts on connect.

TOR latency is around 250 ms for me.

Latency might the issue that I am having with BBC iPlayer. It tries to connect (so I guess the proxy is OK) but I get "This content doesn't seem to be working".

Any tips on reducing latency?
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:22 PM EDT
@skelband Are you using the actual Channel 4 website or the youtube one?

The actual Channel 4 website blocks tor the Youtube one does not.

You should be using the following site http://www.youtube.com/4od

Use the links provided in the article.

250ms is very good most websites are good upto about 2500-3000 ms before they timeout.
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
11:24 PM EDT
Ah I see.

It looked like Channel 4 was allowing connections, but timing out eventually.

YouTube is OK for me!
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:26 PM EDT
Great Channel 4 actual website blocks Tor im afraid thats why i specify the youtube one its the same material.
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
11:27 PM EDT
What a fantastic and convenient tool is Selektor! Thanks Koriel.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:29 PM EDT
Your welcome :)
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
11:30 PM EDT
Latency's a bit of a killer, but it depends a bit on what program one's watching Ice planet is just horrible, while Merlin was running fine when I tested it. I'm about to test the wmv file I downloaded, see if it's Digital Restrictions Managed.
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
11:30 PM EDT
it is

Perhaps there's a flash downloader for doing this on linux
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:33 PM EDT
@tracy If you go into preferences, you can change the preferred latency it defaults to 800 but you can safely set it to 500.

Selektor will do its best to use nodes below the 500 figure.

I looked into a flash downloader for the bbc but I couldnt find one maybe you will have better luck than I.
Koriel

Nov 09, 2011
11:58 PM EDT
I should also mention that in pattern mode the media stream does not actually go through the Tor network, in fact once a stream is active you can shutdown Selektor which will also shutdown the Tor client and your stream will continue as normal as only the geographical checks get passed through Tor, the stream goes via normal internet routing.

I thought I would mention this in case people complained that this application wastes Tor bandwidth when it doesnt it uses it very frugally in its default mode of operation. If you were to turn of "Proxy by Pattern" mode using the systray icon then everything gets passed through Tor so this method is not recommended for media streaming sites as the Tor folk will get understandably upset.
Koriel

Nov 10, 2011
5:56 PM EDT
To any new users of SelekTOR since its still under heavy development you should keep an eye on the website for regular updates, a new version has just been posted.

I might get around to building in a "check for updates on startup feature" when i get the time.
tracyanne

Nov 12, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
Given the way this works, it can easily be extended to include any webcast TV programs, such as ABC iView in Australia, the TV New Zealand service, and no doubt US TV
montezuma

Nov 12, 2011
7:24 PM EDT
Really cool. Got it working in 2 minutes. The quality on bbc iplayer is phenomenal from the us eastcoast. Linux rocks!
Koriel

Nov 13, 2011
3:58 PM EDT
Glad folks like it, and yes it has been designed to be multi-functional and simpler to use than Vidalia which was one of my original goals as the wife used to be a Mac user and didnt like fiddly stuff she just wanted it to work and thus the first incarnation of SelekTOR 1.xx came into being and 2.xx is even simpler.

Although im getting complaints that I don't support Mac's but since I dont own one its impossible to develop for it, any Mac users who are complaining and want SelekTOR then donate or loan a Mac to me or a PC thats capable of doing hardware accelerated VM needed to run OSX.

I know their are not many Unity(cough,cough,spit) users here on Lxer but the latest version just gained Unity compatibility. Don't even speak to me about the crappy time I had getting Unity/Netbeans combo to run on Vmware due to opengl issues the sooner their is an option to install a 2D version of Unity the better it will be. This was the first time I have used Unity and I can pretty much say its crap on a desktop but would be more than suitable for a tablet, word to Shuttleworth IOS and Android own the tablet market you will lose.

Shame the Windows version isn't selling, was hoping that would help finance further development and pay for the website maintenance and my DSL. If anyone has any suggestion on how to market the Windows version then let me know as im hitting a blank wall.

tracyanne

Nov 13, 2011
4:35 PM EDT
Do me a write up with Links Koriel, I'll see what I can do.
Koriel

Nov 13, 2011
4:40 PM EDT
@TA thanks.

I'll see what I can do although im not the greatest writer i'll do my best, I'll put something together in a similar vein to the Linux article.

TA I sent you a PM/Email with the link to a Windows version of the Linux article.
Koriel

Jan 22, 2012
5:08 PM EDT
@Tracyanne

You mentioned Australia, well Ive been working on it and the next version of SelekTOR has support for the following Austrailian online tv sites.

Seven Network at http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/

10 Network at http://ten.com.au/watch-tv-episodes-online.htm

Channel 9 MSN (Requires Silverlight) at http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/video/fullepisodes/

11 Network at http://eleven.com.au/

One Network at http://one.com.au/video.htm

Im afraid ABC iView is not supported as it hangs when its geotest code is routed via the Tor network so im guessing they are deliberately blocking the Tor network.

I took a look at New Zealand but they don't have any valid Tor exit nodes at the moment which kinda rules it out. In fact NZ has pretty much nothing in the way of proxies in general not sure whats up with that.

The new version will be out within a few days im in the testing phase at the moment it also includes a lot of bug fixes improved shutdown and proxy restore after bad shutdowns which is pretty much the norm now with Linux desktops issuing KILL signals instead of TERM signals on DE logout which is very annoying as it makes running java shutdown hooks pointless in fact KDE and Windows are the only DE's that get it right. Have also included support for Auto startup on Linux.

Apologies for reviving this thread, this winging pom thought it was worthwhile letting folks know that ozzie output would soon be available and you can fire up the barby put your cozzy on and get a keg of kangabrew out for a party.

G'day cobbers.

Cheers Brue and Sheila

All hail Kylie!

Ok im done.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!