Waiting for Pi

Story: Getting Started With Embedded Programming in Linux, the Cheap and Easy Way Total Replies: 1
Author Content
cr

Nov 09, 2011
7:19 PM EDT
Here's hoping that the Raspberry Pi project is along shortly. At $25 or $35 a pop, that's a lot of processing power in a small network-accessible package.

And there's a full-story link now (thanks, Scott) so I can actually read the article. It's a good intro to two hackable board-families. I'll hope to see a followup once there's Raspberry Pi hardware to compare features on.

A few hints for anybody inspired by this article:

- Doing anything with plugboard (solderless breadboard) gets expensive quickly, mainly because you're always needing more of the fool things because you never seem to be ready to tear down what's on the one(s) you've got when it's time to build something new. Start scrounging up the discarded wire from wherever somebody does telephone or network cabling changes: that AWG#24 wire is better for plugboard jumpers than the jumper-wires they sell, plus you can color-code.

- When it comes time to move a plugboard design over to perfboard, Teflon-insulated wire (type E or type ET insulation thickness) will save you a lot of grief compared to soldering with wrap wire where the Kynar insulation can melt away without warning.

- A project board with an I2C port is almost as good as one with uncommitted GPIO pins. Aside from small EEPROMs (to keep configuration bits in), I2C is good for parts like PCF8574, with 8 port pins you can wiggle or read. Just don't try to do high-speed stuff with it; I2C isn't designed to move data all that fast.

- A cheap soldering iron is false economy; get a temperature-controlled one and stop ruining parts.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 09, 2011
7:23 PM EDT
Sorry about the link, all fixed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!