Watch the streets....

Story: Has Linux dropped off the face of the Earth?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
helios

Nov 16, 2011
1:55 AM EDT
While out and about, watch people at stop lights. Watch them at crosswalks or at bus stations or even walking....growing numbers have their noses buried in some handheld device or another. I personally gave up on desktop domination in 2009 but Linux, in almost any form that can turn a once-great and powerful corporation into a common patent troll is a good thing. No, we were wayyyyyy late coming off the starting line with DE Linux. Some would argue that we never had a fighting chance given the vendor agreements MS forced OEM's into. And that may well be true.

But we are winning on the streets, and in super computing centers and in the server rooms around the globe. These days, I have to work hard to separate my desire to see Linux grow and my joy in the influence of MS diminish to a "me too" entity.

Microsoft is watching itself shrink into the middle of the pack when it comes to releasing "ground breaking" devices and software.

I take great, albeit perverse pleasure in being aware enough to watch it happen.
jsusanka

Nov 16, 2011
7:58 PM EDT
I just heard from a friend who switched his father over to Linux. They run ubuntu LTS and I told them they should check out Linux Mint too but he said his father will never go back to windows. He LOVES IT!! Said his father took to the interface with no problems. He could find everything he needed without any training at all - imagine that Linux is actually easy to use to a non-computer person.

They went to fix his father's pc and it was DOA. They found so much spyware, malware, viruses it was pretty much a joke. Since they had to do a re-install they decided to put ubuntu LTS on it.

All his hardware was recognized and they never heard back from his father since about his computer. He only hears how much he likes it and how much he liked saving money on his fixed income. NICE!

I personally think Apple and Microsoft are part of the reason for the economic mess we are in currently. The are sucking all the money out of the economy with their shoddy products, forced upgrades, and so called innovation.
DrGeoffrey

Nov 16, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
Quoting:I personally think Apple and Microsoft are part of the reason for the economic mess we are in currently.

Truth!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!