My mileage is better...

Story: openSuse 12.1 Review: An Elite OSTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
kenjennings

Nov 18, 2011
11:19 AM EDT
For some reason I've had more problems with Ubuntu and derivatives than with openSuse.

Last night I did a test of the in-place upgrade and ran zypper from the command line to upgrade a server from 11.2 to (11.3, 11.4, then) 12.1. It went flawlessly. I may forgo downloading the DVD ISO at all and just do an online update of all my systems.
helios

Nov 18, 2011
7:31 PM EDT
I've been meaning to revisit KDE 4 and it's my understanding that Suse/OpenSuse does KDE better than anyone. I have a spare partition and will take a look at it over the weekend.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 18, 2011
8:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Last night I did a test of the in-place upgrade and ran zypper from the command line to upgrade a server from 11.2 to (11.3, 11.4, then) 12.1.

I'm glad it worked, but that sounds punishing ...
jdixon

Nov 19, 2011
9:11 AM EDT
> I'm glad it worked, but that sounds punishing ...

More punishing that backing up all your data, reinstalling, restoring all your data, reinstalling all of your software that isn't installed by default, and then customizing your system again? Sound like pretty much a wash to me. It's not like you have to sit there the whole time it's upgrading.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!