Add Your Favorite Advantages

Story: The Advantages of Using LinuxTotal Replies: 46
Author Content
Fettoosh

Nov 29, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
May be we should have a contest! Each should add only features/capabilities Linux has that are better than or Windows doesn't have.

1) Linux is the same no matter what hardware you install it on. There is no distinction between desktop & server. The users make it whichever they want simply by installing/configuring or not installing software.

On the contrary, Windows comes with multiple forms and cost factors that depend on resource limitations and feature restrictions. You can upgrade, but that translates to additional costs.

2) Linux comes with many standard office applications already installed. Windows doesn't

3) Linux can be installed and run from CD/USB/DVD etc. (Your Portable OS). Windows doesn't.

I will add more, please add your own.

fredbird67

Nov 29, 2011
4:13 PM EDT
I have to confess, my personal favorite part about using Linux is that you have MUCH greater control and flexibility over what your desktop looks like. Granted, all the different window managers or desktop environments available can be overwhelming to the Linux newcomer, but this is part of its strength. And, no matter what desktop you find yourself falling in love with, you can set different themes/color schemes, icon themes, titlebar styles, to your heart's content.

For example, for anyone wishing to get into the Christmas spirit, just this past week, I uploaded a series of themes (GTK, icon, Xfwm, and Emerald) that I had been working on since late August that I think y'all might like, available at http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/An+Xfce+Christmas?content=147049.

Lemme know what y'all think! :-)
gus3

Nov 29, 2011
5:01 PM EDT
Linux isn't Microsoft. Steve Ballmer froths at the mouth over Linux.

Pi--ing off the right people goes a long way for me.
dinotrac

Nov 29, 2011
5:33 PM EDT
Linux is easy to spell and if you spell it wrong, most people won't know.
DrGeoffrey

Nov 29, 2011
6:40 PM EDT
Linux is MS Office free!

No Word, no Outlook, no Access, no Excel.

Just software that works.
BernardSwiss

Nov 29, 2011
7:58 PM EDT
Different versions of Linux can be counted on to network with each other.
fewt

Nov 29, 2011
8:11 PM EDT
Advantage: You have complete control over the OS.

Advantage: If you do it right, it is rock solid.

Advantage: You can use VirtualBox to install Windows and Office (I'm kidding, trololo)
gus3

Nov 29, 2011
9:01 PM EDT
Addendum: if you do it wrong, it's still reasonably forgiving.

REASONABLY forgiving...
DrGeoffrey

Nov 29, 2011
9:05 PM EDT
gus3,

And if you totally screw-up, re-installation is a snap.

(And you don't have to ask anyone's permission!)
fewt

Nov 29, 2011
9:38 PM EDT
Quoting:And you don't have to ask anyone's permission!

Except mine, get the h#ll off my computer you young whippersnappers!!!! :)
gus3

Nov 29, 2011
10:29 PM EDT
EDIT: previous comment fixed.
fewt

Nov 29, 2011
10:36 PM EDT
@gus3 - corrected. lol
alanjm

Nov 29, 2011
11:10 PM EDT
Live CDs/DVD's! Try them all out before you install anything!
lcafiero

Nov 29, 2011
11:15 PM EDT
More than 320 active distros to try out. Choice is paramount.
dinotrac

Nov 29, 2011
11:53 PM EDT
@lcaf --

But 20th Century Fox and Disney can use it, too.
lcafiero

Nov 30, 2011
12:14 AM EDT
Heh. Touche, dino! Don't forget it's universal, and Universal can use it, too.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2011
12:26 AM EDT
I don't have to make menu selections or do CTRL-C CTRL-V to copy and paste. Mouse over what I want, move mouse to new position, center mouse click and I'm done. What's up with all those extra keystrokes or mouse movements in Windows?
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2011
12:29 AM EDT
Many (most?) netbooks are slower than molasses running uphill in the wintertime running Windows. They are fast enough to do most anything running Linux and make great little desktop replacements. With the right, well configured, lightweight Linux distro they run like greased lightning.
JA12

Nov 30, 2011
5:16 AM EDT
My addition to the list: Linux makes computing enjoyable and fun.
jimbauwens

Nov 30, 2011
5:23 AM EDT
I can do anything I want to do with Linux
gus3

Nov 30, 2011
10:19 AM EDT
@caitlyn, can you do paste-replacement with that technique?
Fettoosh

Nov 30, 2011
10:54 AM EDT
- Linux has screen pager to better manage windows of multitasking apps. Windows has no such standard thing.

- Linux is highly modular. Easy to run headless; have multiple desktop environments; multiple applications, menus, tools [he] utilities[/he] and can be tailored to run on hardware as big as mainframe computers and as small as a wrist watches. No such luck with Windows.

- Linux runs most embedded and specialized devices. Windows is lousy for such devices.

- Linux biggest advantage is giving businesses running Linux advantages over businesses running Windows. Wall Street, large enterprises critical apps, communications, The Internet, etc.

mbaehrlxer

Nov 30, 2011
1:01 PM EDT
Linux is Free Software.

related quote:
Denis Vlasenko on lkml wrote:What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall.

greetings, eMBee.
theBeez

Nov 30, 2011
1:23 PM EDT
I posted this story some time ago. In the meanwhile, several other nuisances have been added, like my Outlook completely FREEZING for 30 seconds or so every five minutes. And I when I say FREEZING, I mean "can't do anything anymore". MS-Office isn't helping very much either, especially the much hated Word.

For those who want to read the rather long list, here it is: http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2010/09/real-life-windows-...

I take my Linux nuisances every day if I can be refrained from these ones.
skelband

Nov 30, 2011
2:24 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey: "Linux is MS Office free!"

Not necessarily. Lots of people actually like MS Office, and most versions work pretty flawlessy on Wine and have done for a number of years.

It was one of the earliest targetted applications as it has the greater potential coverage.
ColonelPanik

Nov 30, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
I am a masochist.
DrGeoffrey

Nov 30, 2011
7:18 PM EDT
@skelband

P. T. Barnum is reputed to have said, "there's a sucker born every minute." Unfortunately, he was a optimist.
caitlyn

Dec 01, 2011
12:24 AM EDT
@gus3: What do you mean by paste-replacement? I DuckDuck'ed it and found articles about replacing everything from thermal paste to almond paste, plus some about enhancements to Windows.
gus3

Dec 01, 2011
8:03 AM EDT
I mean:

Select text to be cut/copied

Cut/copy to clipboard

Select text to be replaced

Paste

Et voila!

AFAICT your X-based mouse actions don't allow that. Under X, the selection is the clipboard.

But I know, at least for myself, I've used it too many times to give it up. It's indispensable for smoothing out long compositions.
mortenalver

Dec 02, 2011
6:27 AM EDT
Linux doesn't automatically install updates and reboot your computer while you're not there, and it doesn't force you to install updates before letting you turn off your computer. (Sure, you can probably disable this behaviour in Windows.)
gus3

Dec 02, 2011
8:14 AM EDT
Four seconds on the power button will temporarily disable that behavior for all OS's.
helios

Dec 02, 2011
11:26 AM EDT
...I DuckDuck'ed it ...

Heavens, it took me almost a year before "googling" sounded natural to me as a verb. "I Ducked" it has some strange possibilities and I'm going to sit back and watch the evolution of this phrase with interest. "I Ducked it" will probably be the next logical step.

Aflac!

Four seconds on the power button will temporarily disable that behavior for all OS's.

On a windoze machine, that is an open-door invitation to a BSOD. In Linux, not so much but it can cry havoc with Windows.
skelband

Dec 02, 2011
11:45 AM EDT
@DrGeoffrey: "there's a sucker born every minute."

I'm not sure what you are implying. Are you saying that you don't believe this statement or that MS Office is a bad product?

If someone already has MS Office and they like it, Wine enables them to continue using it whilst disrobing themselves of the Windows stranglehold. For practically everything I have ever used it for in the past, the functionality of Office 97 is still entirely sufficient.

I used some of the older MS Offices and found that it was great. I use LibreOffice these days and it serves me and my family well. However, I wouldn't criticise others for their decision to stick with what they like on Linux.
penguinist

Dec 02, 2011
2:04 PM EDT
I used to "google" but now I "ask the Duck".
gus3

Dec 02, 2011
6:05 PM EDT
Duck it.
BernardSwiss

Dec 02, 2011
8:30 PM EDT
Actually, after "duck duck", comes "goose".

So goose it.

There, that's better!

DrGeoffrey

Dec 02, 2011
9:35 PM EDT
@skelband,

While your position sounds at first blush to be eminently reasonable, what it really accomplishes is to allow the junkie to keep his regular fix, and the dealer to keep his cash flow.

I work on an all windows campus and am surrounded by people happy in their ignorance. That is, they're happy until they once again access yet another buggy feature, or pick up another Windows/MS Office virus. Then they call IT for help, and IT (which staffs a boatload of tech people who appear to work exclusively to correct Windows problems) is more than happy to justify their existence. On a campus where tight budgets rule supreme, the waste involved in this never ending do-loop must be astounding. And that doesn't consider the cost of the software, or the never ending train of replacement hardware for systems that are a few years old, but still quite functional.

This is a school that prides itself on its fiscal responsibility.

Perhaps it's my training as a bean counter, but I prefer funds being spent productively.

Even more frustrating, as an all windows shop we are busy training students to be skillful at working with dated and buggy software. Not to train them in the much more important skills of flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to learn.

Years ago a Professor of mine once noted that University's prepare their students for the previous decade. I prefer to prepare them for the future.

No. I think the P.T. Barnum quote is most appropriate.
skelband

Dec 02, 2011
9:45 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey: I disagree, of course :)

I would support the user's freedom to do whatever is cost-effective and convenient for them. Moving to Linux and continuing to use software which you have bought, paid for and are happy with is one of those freedoms.

The issue you are talking about is institutional stupidity. Using free software does nothing to eradicate that.

But then most of your reply is about Windows and I wouldn't advocate anyone use that if they possibly can do without it.....
DrGeoffrey

Dec 02, 2011
10:03 PM EDT
@skelband

Point 1: MS Office is only a slightly smaller bug-ridden and virus-laden fiasco than Windows.

Point 2: Having made the transition from MSOffice to LibreOffice, I can assure you it is not difficult. In fact, many aspects of LibreOffice are much more carefully thought out, and therefore much more useful (e.g., customizable toolbars vs a rigid ribbon (and only one customizable toolbar)).

Now, I am not advocating an all Linux shop. Such a position would be self-defeating for the students. Also, there may be critical software that is not available on Linux (yet). But, clearly, MS Office is not critical software.

In any event, I am a lost voice in the wilderness.
jezuch

Dec 03, 2011
6:17 AM EDT
Quoting:(Sure, you can probably disable this behaviour in Windows.)

For a couple of hours, at least... Then it magically turns itself on again, because Microsoft cares about you sooo much.
helios

Dec 03, 2011
11:25 AM EDT
You can turn off automatic updates all you want but Microsoft Windows will turn it back on upon their whim. I've seen it time and time again, and the audacity of Redmond for writing this into their code infuriates me.

Concerning Libre Office, specifically Calc as a replacement for Excel:

Until there is a solution for problems with heavy chart and graphics interchange between Calc and Excel users, we're not going to be able to touch the Enterprise. As recently as two weeks ago, I had someone complain that it looked like a bomb went off in an Excel document we were both editing and exchanging.

I know much of the fault lies with Microsoft and even cross exchanges with different versions of MS Office will produce the same problems. However, most people will just tolorate it if it's a MS office/MS office document exchange but if it's a MS Office/Libre office exchange, then Libre Office/Linux sucks.

DrGeoffrey

Dec 03, 2011
11:52 AM EDT
Quoting:I know much of the fault lies with Microsoft and even cross exchanges with different versions of MS Office will produce the same problems.

A defining moment came for me sometime back when I created a PowerPoint presentation with MSOffice 2003, under XP, transferred it to a classroom system, which was running MSOffice 2003, under XP, only to have a corrupted presentation appear on the screen.

Upon returning to my office, I accessed the very same file with my office computer. . . and found no corruption.

MS Office's graphics problems extend beyond Excel, and there's no need to cross versions.
BernardSwiss

Dec 03, 2011
8:27 PM EDT
Well, you see, it's like this...

MS Office and Windows are made by a huge corporation, that people have seen television advertising for (and that made BG ludicrously rich and famous). And people can easily find it at Walmart or BestBuy or Dell. But Linux was made by students and hackers in their parents' basements, isn't advertised on TV, hasn't made anyone a billionaire yet. And just try to find it at Walmart or BestBuy or even Dell.

So obviously the issues you described passing documents between Windows computers under MS-Office are are inevitable and unavoidable -- or far more likely just your own stupidity -- while the issues passing documents between Linux (or Windows) computers under LibreOffice show that both Linux and LibreOffice are cheap and shoddy, substandard imitations of a near-perfect product.

Any other perspective is plainly rabidly partisan -- if not actually delusional. Can your doctor refer you to good, professional help? ;-)

DrGeoffrey

Dec 03, 2011
9:09 PM EDT
@BS

Gosh. I'm sure glad you cleared that up.
BernardSwiss

Dec 03, 2011
9:19 PM EDT
You're welcome.

The good news is that my "professional help" says that I, myself, appear to be getting better. ;-)

jdixon

Dec 03, 2011
10:44 PM EDT
> The good news is that my "professional help" says that I, myself, appear to be getting better. ;-)

Just for you then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0dBZ1meio
darkduck

Dec 04, 2011
7:19 PM EDT
Hey, and here is my response

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2011/12/advantages-of-using-li...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!