Nice to know it can be removed

Story: Carrier IQ: How the rootkit tracks everything on your phone and how to remove itTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 04, 2011
8:32 PM EDT
Better still, would be for it not to be installed.
techiem2

Dec 05, 2011
5:03 PM EDT
Sadly removal requires a rooted phone...which as far as I understand still tends to void most warranties (even though, as we all know, software modifications should NOT void hardware warranties).
JaseP

Dec 05, 2011
10:12 PM EDT
And rooting is not possible on Honeycomb devices, either. I very much want to root my Acer Iconia a500 (and I don't know whether it has this installed).
tmx

Dec 05, 2011
11:45 PM EDT
I had an A500 and 3 other Honeycomb tablets and I root all of them. There is an app in the market to root it, and another app to install CWM recovery AcerIconiaA500Root, AcerRecoveryInstaller

Last I remember they worked for version 3.1, but not 3.2. But things has moved on and it should be easy to root 3.2 too, if you look around: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1136

Also its easy to return the phone back to stock if you know how.

I wonder if the app works on all phone, since removing a rootkit isn't easy and can be hidden in many places and might also need to modify the kernel. But I don't have an Android to test it, but coming from TrevE it should be trustworthy.

The international version of Android like Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus and other Nexus devices do not seem to have Carrier IQ. CIQ seems to be for American phones.

PS. Removing CIQ isn't nothing if you're still sending tons of data to Google and to your carrier and to the server of the free apps that you downloaded.
JaseP

Dec 06, 2011
12:27 PM EDT
My a500 was updated to 3.2... And, I'd wager that any new ones are being shipped with 3.2 (could be wrong).

But, in general, Freedom is dead, privacy,... an illusion. Patrick Henry would die if he wasn't dead already. I don't know if I'm a pessimist, or just slowly working myself up into a lather...
helios

Dec 06, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
JaseP...don't forget to rinse and repeat....

I feel your frustration. It looks like my HTC Hero wasn't infected and I played with the idea of rooting it for a while but with the horrendous battery life and 3G-Sometimes performance, an upgrade is imminent and I don't want to go to the trouble. I will shop for my next phone based on the absence of this mess.

Of course, a slideout keyboard is requisite....I despise the touchpad.
jdixon

Dec 06, 2011
3:54 PM EDT
> Of course, a slideout keyboard is requisite....I despise the touchpad.

We seem to be in the minority in that regard, Ken.
mrider

Dec 06, 2011
7:34 PM EDT
Quoting:don't forget to rinse and repeat

That's how the programmer died - no exit clause. :)
tmx

Dec 07, 2011
12:55 AM EDT
JaseP: You can still flash back the stock factory 3.1 version if you go to the recovery mode.

I think to access recovery mode, hold Power and Vol -, then there is an option to update via zip. Get the stock rom image and renamed as "update.zip", place it in your SD card root directory. Just make sure the rom version matches with your country. Applying the wrong one might get the OS not working correctly, but you can still access Recovery as flash the correct one. I've owned the A500 and that was how I got back to version 3.1. You can find different versions of the stock 3.1 at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=407fa22dbb4...

Or you can check this Tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=407fa22dbb4...

Here is what I would do: Go back to version 3.1, use Acer Recovery Installer to install CWM, boot into CWM, install "Tabooney" rom which is the best rom for the Acer A500. Then you can install AdFree, and LBE Privacy Guard to prohibit network permissions for apps.

FYI, there modules for the A500, two of them enable the usage of OpenVPN: cifs.ko and tun.ko, this is included with most of the custom roms.

PS. After going through 5 of them Android tablets and sold or return them all, I bought a refurb Acer W500 Windows tablet. Been trying different distro, but they still need time to improve with the touch. It's better to buy a tablet with physical mouse buttons. Until there is a distro made specifically for tablet.

It's sad there are no better offering than Android for cellphones which I will continue to use. Nokia have nice devices, but their hardware is no match for the best of Android phones which will have quadcore now, and I'm not that optimistic about Meego.
JaseP

Dec 07, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
Naah,... I'll wait for Ice Cream Sandwich before I do any monkeying around. It works pretty decently now, & I don't want to break it.
gus3

Dec 07, 2011
6:20 PM EDT
Side thought: what would it take to get a carrier/vendor to offer Cyanogenmod on a supported phone?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!