A big thumbs down...

Story: Firewall uptime and security with iptablesTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
rnturn

Dec 13, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
... goes to any web site that insists on using code block window that force you to use a horizontal scrollbar to view the text.

Are there really Linux users out there that do not understand that a backslash at the end of the line indicates that the newline has been escaped making the next line a continuation of the current line? Making the reader scroll in two directions is going to make any web page more annoying to read. It's really not that difficult to properly format code blocks and well worth the time if you want visitors to come back to read more articles.
mrider

Dec 13, 2011
3:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Are there really Linux users out there that do not understand that a backslash at the end of the line indicates that the newline has been escaped making the next line a continuation of the current line?
Probably. But arguably those users should not be dinking around with firewall rules anyway. So yeah, he should format better.

Another problem I see is this is yet another page that takes the view that blocking a port is better than closing it. Some of those open ports are absurd. Don't block the port, reconfigure the daemon so it only listens on the local host adapter.
gus3

Dec 13, 2011
4:34 PM EDT
If the port is open, fine, answer with a SYN/ACK or ACK as appropriate.

If the port has no reason to be open, don't answer incoming data to it.

Unfortunately, tradition holds that closed ports mean the sender gets a RST back, so evil people see a system to scan.
BernardSwiss

Dec 13, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
Am I missing something?

As far as I can see, there's perhaps four or five lines that extend past column 80 (to 88 or 89 if you include the trailing space) and the one single, longer line does in fact incorporate a backslash to wrap the line-break. (for reference, the longest line in listing #9 is exactly 80 characters)

tuxchick

Dec 14, 2011
12:52 AM EDT
Your end, their end...sounds like some soothing ointment would help.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!