some points

Story: Future of the Linux DesktopTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Grishnakh

Dec 16, 2011
1:04 PM EDT
Netflix: I can't speak for things like Turkey's TiViBu or other foreign services, but here in the USA, Netfliix isn't really a big problem IMO for Linux desktops. How many people watch movies on their desktop PC? 40-year-olds living in their parents' basement perhaps, but most people watch movies on larger-screen TVs, so they can sit on a couch with their family or date or whatever and watch them together. Even by yourself, a couch is much more comfortable for movie viewing than an office chair. The inability to watch Netflix movies with Linux is only a serious problem if you're trying to build yourself a MythTV or other DIY media appliance. It does suck, but most people don't do that anyway; these days, it's gotten pretty popular to buy a network-enabled Blu-ray player for $100-150, or a Roku box or similar appliance, which is already set up to let you watch Netflix movies, along with various other stuff such as Amazon movies and other sources. (Interestingly, most of these devices run Linux internally.) No, it's not as good as being able to set up your own MythTV box and watch Netflix from there, but the inability to watch Netflix in Linux in absolutely no way affects my usage of Linux on my desktop PC; I simply don't watch movies there. My PC is for surfing and for work, not watching movies.

Silverlight: Last I heard, this seems to be dying. If these predictions are true, I'm rather curious how this will affect Netflix.

"With the end of another year inevitable talks of the year of the Linux desktop is emerging once again. But what I've seen so far is all pessimism." The big problem with this article IMO is he concentrates on DRM, and completely misses the big reasons for pessimism: the move to cr@ppy, dumbed-down UIs like Gnome3 and Unity. When it seems like everyone's lost their mind and is chasing after some stupid fad, leaving real users who use their Linux machines for real work looking for alternatives, that's good cause for pessimism.
Koriel

Dec 16, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Not quite true Grish,

The use of the PC as a media device via the net is growing incredibly fast so much so that the cable companies and satellite outfits are worried.

I haven't paid for cable or sat in the last 6 years all of my TV comes via the net, true I used to be a tiny minority but not so now quite a few of my acquaintances have dropped their cable contracts and moved to net only. It is no longer difficult to set up a media only PC and hook it to your TV and im not 40 (i wish) and living in my parents basement either.

<Blatant Ad> Want British TV for free then I literally have an app for that just Google "SelekTOR British TV" to find my app its free for linux users. </BlatantAd>

Yes we are still a minority but one that is growing significantly.

A list of the channels I have for absolutely no cost are BBC, ITV, STV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Hulu, NBC, ABC, SciFi, USANetwork, PBS etc.. more than enough for most people unless you are a sports fan then cable/sat is a good idea.

I hope Silverlight dies as my favourite sports channel Eurosport uses it and thus prevents me from adding them to my growing list.
helios

Dec 16, 2011
7:31 PM EDT
How many people watch movies on their desktop PC? 40-year-olds living in their parents' basement perhaps, but most people watch movies on larger-screen TVs...,

Citation please.

I'm 58 years old and I haven't watched any form of "TV" for more than an hour a week in a couple of years. My 27 inch LCD monitor offers great viewing from either bed or my recliner in the bedroom. A 36 inch monitor will replace the 27" after Christmas. I don't watch "TV" because I will not tolerate commercials any more. Netflix offers me very little choice that appeals to me and I can watch most anything I want from fastpasstv.ms.

So, I don't live in my parent's basement or any basement for that matter. That was just a plain, flat-out ignorant statement.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 16, 2011
8:27 PM EDT
I'm watching more and more TV on a 15-inch-screen laptop. I'd watch on a bigger computer screen if I had one, or on a TV or monitor connected to a media PC, if I had one of those.

More and more people I work with and talk with are using PCs -- desktops and laptops -- for viewing of TV and movie content. We can't afford cable and now don't need it, either.
nikkels

Dec 16, 2011
9:10 PM EDT
I haven't watched a movie on <any> TV in 10 years. I do watch movies every single day on my 19" screen, and my office chair is just the most comfortable < sitting device > I have. I even can sleep comfortable in it.

And, you are talking as if the whole world is the same as the USA. It isn't. Have a look on the map
theboomboomcars

Dec 17, 2011
12:11 AM EDT
I watch my "TV" on my linux computer, hooked to a 120" screen. I don't miss Netflix. I am not 40, yet. I don't live in my parents basement. I don't watch TV, for similar reasons as helios, commercials are annoying, so I rip my DVDs to my harddrive, and don't have to deal with the commercials.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 18, 2011
5:50 AM EDT
no TV in this house either, but watching TV on a computer is fine. the advantage is better control of the time, because it is easier to stop and go do something else, without being tempted to leave the tv running. when i need to decide what to watch i also tend to be more selective compared to turning on a TV to see what's on. it makes watching TV somewhat more active, which i consider more healthy.

greetings, eMBee.
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2011
4:18 PM EDT
My 32" Visio TV can double as a PC monitor. It even has a standard VGA connector. So... if I want, I can plug my netbook in and stream something from the net and it plays on the TV. I can also do work this way if I want. The distinction between the TV and the monitor is all but gone.

Regarding using a network capable Blu-Ray player, that is so last year. (Or was it the year before?) Increasingly that functionality is built right into the TV. Of course, my Visio was a $249 closeout last year so it doesn't have that functionality.

Like Koriel, I don't pay for cable. I have an antenna (yes, they still exist) that pulls in ~40 channels thanks to multicasting, the majority of which are HD. Add the net and I have more TV than I choices than I could ever want.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!