Downward spiral.....

Story: Canonical Will Remove Java From UbuntuTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
helios

Dec 16, 2011
7:19 PM EDT
Oh man.....I am so sure openJDK is up to the task. Wait, no it isn't. Websites like pogo.com and other flash game sites require the latest java packages. All the "open" java solutions just won't work there. This does not bode well for Ubuntu or any of their derivatives methinks. They are running out of feet to shoot.
gus3

Dec 16, 2011
7:28 PM EDT
This isn't Ubuntu's doing, but rather Oracle's.
BernardSwiss

Dec 16, 2011
7:32 PM EDT
Quoting: Because Oracle retired the "Operating System Distributor License for Java", Canonical no longer has permission to redistribute new Java packages.

Can't blame this one on Ubuntu. This was an Oracle decision.

helios

Dec 16, 2011
7:41 PM EDT
I phrased that badly Bernard...I was speaking of Oracle's feet, but I see how that could have been misconstrued.
gus3

Dec 16, 2011
7:53 PM EDT
Is OpenJDK not up to the task, or does the "official" Java detection mechanism block all independent Java implementations?

My money's on the latter.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 16, 2011
8:16 PM EDT
When I tried openjdk with the two things I need Java for, only one worked. Both worked (not well, but worked ...) in Sun Java. I don't want to delete Sun-Java in my Debian Squeeze system and give OpenJDK another try -- what if it doesn't work and I can't go back?
JaseP

Dec 16, 2011
8:26 PM EDT
Wasn't there someone who recently gave me grief for me stating that Oracle was hostile to OSS?!?!
dinotrac

Dec 16, 2011
8:45 PM EDT
Would that someone have a handle that starts with Grish?
rahulsundaram

Dec 17, 2011
12:59 AM EDT
@helios "I am so sure openJDK is up to the task. Wait, no it isn't. Websites like pogo.com and other flash game sites require the latest java packages"

So, have you filed any bug reports? If not, you should. Encouraging use of the proprietary JDK isn't the best long term option

@gus3, "Is OpenJDK not up to the task, or does the "official" Java detection mechanism block all independent Java implementations?

My money's on the latter."

You lose your money. There is no blocking. Just bugs, missing features or differences in packaging

JaseP

Dec 17, 2011
4:39 PM EDT
@ dinotrac

It might,... Rabit,... It might.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 18, 2011
5:59 AM EDT
i strongly believe that the reason that openJDK is not up to the task is because i believe most people didn't bother. those that wanted a truly free java have been working with alternatives long before openJDK came into existence, and those that preferred the original java had no reason to switch to openJDK either. now they have a reason, and that will force the community to get openJDK into shape and make it be up to the task. there is no more excuse.

greetings, eMBee.
helios

Dec 18, 2011
8:21 AM EDT
Guilty as charged...I did not file bug reports simply for the reasons stated...and because Pogo.com's API is crap and you never know from day to day if it's going to work in Linux...That API is cr@p. Java was already installed on my Mint computer and I saw no reason to work with OpenJDK. Bad, I know but true. But to be truthful here, an update of sun-java6-bin broke some websites anyway. It is listed as 6.26-2natty1 in synaptic and the Mint Software Update app. Not sure what happened but Diane reports that she can no longer play Pogo.com. Normally, I wouldn't worry too much but she uses this site to regain her hand to eye coordination after her stroke.

Not really sure why that update hosed things but to my point, after uninstalling all the Sun java stuff, I reinstalled Open JDK and the rest of the dependencies. All but one of the games now play so it seems great improvements have been made since I last tried it. Maybe this is, as suggested, a thing for the better.
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2011
3:59 PM EDT
If anything, this should spur the development of OpenJDK and help it improve. Remember when Adobe didn't support 64-bit Flash on Linux? gnash made big strides forward during that time. Now that Adobe has a 64-bit client I don't hear about gnash much. Pity.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!