I confoos

Story: Apple Ruling Hits Android Total Replies: 4
Author Content
jacog

Dec 20, 2011
3:01 AM EDT
Do Apple own a patent for regular expressions?? It's implied that the feature HTC was forced to remove has to do with extracting numbers / urls etc. from bodies of text. Sounds a bit like regular expressions to me.
linuxsavvy

Dec 20, 2011
3:47 AM EDT
HTC has denied this "loss" is bad news for them.
Fettoosh

Dec 20, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
Quoting: The U.S. International Trade Commission on Monday ordered HTC by April to stop importing handsets that infringe the patent.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020479110457710...

Can they do that? Do they have the authority without a court order? Aren't courts supposed to be the deciding entities on patent issues?

Quoting: http://www.usitc.gov/press_room/gen_info.htm

The USITC is an independent, nonpartisan, quasi-judicial federal agency. Established by Congress in 1916 as the U.S. Tariff Commission (the Trade Act of 1974 changed its name to the U.S. International Trade Commission), the agency has broad investigative powers on matters of trade. The USITC is a national resource where trade data are gathered and analyzed. The data are provided to the President and Congress as part of the information on which U.S. trade policy is based.

I guess HTC are being smart about it. It is presents & gifts season and didn't want to miss such an opportunity wasting their time going to court with a challenge.

Keep it up Apple. Such shenanigans won't help on the long run.

JaseP

Dec 20, 2011
1:58 PM EDT
Nonpartisan, ... my hiny.
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2011
8:51 PM EDT
Yes, it appears to have become a distinct feature of how American IT companies (and patent trolls) do business in the US (and it's spreading to Europe, too).

Trade injunctions hurt competitors hard where it matters right now, and it doesn't matter whether the patent or copyright infringement claim will (or is even likely to) stand up in court. So the issue is no longer what share the complainant is entitled to -- the defendant is locked out of that market. Instead of dealing with the question of how much of their revenue from that market should or will go to the complainant, it's become a question of how long it will be before they regain the ability to compete in that market, at all.

Arguably, when a company like Apple, or a troll like NTP, manages to get a trade injunction imposed against some competitor, they may even have strong motives to spin the litigation process out as long as possible, since the injunction may do far more damage to their competitors than a patent or copyright settlement.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!