Does Linux Mint ship with Java?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
5:40 PM EDT
Users of Linux Mint, can you help me? Does the live image of Mint ship with Java installed?

I ask because I need to do some Java testing, and my Debian system uses Sun Java, which I'm reluctant to remove until I know that OpenJDK/Iced-Tea can do what I need them to do.

So the ideal test system for me is a live distro that includes the OpenJDK version of Java by default.
Koriel

Dec 20, 2011
5:55 PM EDT
I know Linux Mint Debian does, in fact last time I looked it had both the OpenJDK and Sun/Oracle Official releases available although that was 6 months ago. I have stopped using LMDE since then due to too many dependency issues.

Not sure about the Ubuntu based Linux Mint.

Im in the process of moving my java development over to OpenJDK hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, I tried six months ago but hit a lot of brick walls due to compatibility differences between the runtimes but so far my testing is going well and it looks like most of the compatibility issues have been fixed or at least the ones that affected my apps.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
5:59 PM EDT
The idea situation for me is OpenJDK in the live image. I don't want to have to do an install to test compatibility.
number6x

Dec 20, 2011
6:32 PM EDT
looking here: http://mirror.umd.edu/linuxmint/packages/dists/lisa/

I see the sun jdk 1.6 something listed in the .gz contents file
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2011
9:35 PM EDT
Hasn't Oracle announced that they are no longer going to allow Java to ship with distros (I thought we just had a story about Ubuntu switching to an open alternative because of this).

yep:

Canonical Will Remove Java From Ubuntu > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/159737/index.html

caitlyn

Dec 21, 2011
12:58 AM EDT
@BernardSwiss: Hopefully that will spur development and steady improvement in OpenJDK.
helios

Dec 21, 2011
6:50 AM EDT
Steve, yes it does...at least up to the 11 release. However, the last java update Mint pushed out completely broke some gaming websites like pogo.com. I believe it was the 6.26 release. My girl plays it regularly and complains that it says Java is needed when it is plainly installed. OpenJDK is not a solution as it is broken for Pogo too. I just put her on a live CD of 11 and let her play to her heart's content.

Of course, of all the websites that are java dependent, Pogo is the only one that has caused me problems and I wish a pox upon them. Crappy API's and all.
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
12:24 AM EDT
No pogo? I bet she's hopping mad!

(Sorry, Ken, I couldn't resist :)
gus3

Dec 22, 2011
7:57 AM EDT
caitlyn's on the naughty list...

caitlyn's on the naughty list...
helios

Dec 22, 2011
9:50 AM EDT
The sad part is that she's mad at me....thinks I "did something" to break the computer.

And you are forgiven Caitlyn...we are much alike in that regard:

"I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability." - Ron White

As well, my Safe Sync account not tells me I need the latest Java to access my account. Huh? I have the "latest" Java. I haven't had time to file a bug report with Mint as this is our busiest time of the year, but I shall get around to it in the next day or so. Anyone else using mint and seeing this?
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
2:01 PM EDT
Just remember, gus3, there is no Sanity Clause.

Mint may not come with working Java, but I suspect you'll drink plenty of coffee while staying up late to sort this out.

Ken, seriously, take a look at Vector Linux 7. Faster than Mint on older hardware and much more user/beginner friendly than previous incarnations. Oh, and while the 64-bit version is in beta still it is just about ready for prime time.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 22, 2011
2:28 PM EDT
So the latest Mint ships OpenJDK on the live CD?

You cannot post until you login.