This was the last straw

Story: Mint Cocktail: Mojito or MolotovTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 20, 2011
8:04 PM EDT
Once again DISCUS made it too difficult to comment on Dark Duck's article. I logged in, using my DISCUS credentials, and was informed I don't have access to Dark Duck's blog for the purpose of commenting. So I wrote to DISCUS help and very unpolitely told them to remove me from their database. Hopefully my choice of language will have the desired affect.
cr

Dec 20, 2011
9:45 PM EDT
I don't even bother. I tried three times to sign up for their service; each time, the confirmation email never arrived. Requests emailed to their homesite might as well have fallen into a black hole. Bottom line: anybody using DISQUS doesn't want my participation or my attention. That's one web product that truly needs an open-source fork.
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2011
10:11 PM EDT
I haven't used DISCUS in a while (and my id/login/registration info is on my other box), but I seem to recall that the trick is to log-in to Discus first, before attempting to post your comment (and I usually can't be bothered).

tracyanne

Dec 20, 2011
10:30 PM EDT
Quoting:I seem to recall that the trick is to log-in to Discus first, before attempting to post your comment

Another reason not to bother.
darkduck

Dec 21, 2011
5:13 PM EDT
Sorry, tracyanne... Maybe I am wrongly informed, but my eyes don't show Disqus (yes, you even spell it incorrectly!!!) comments form on my blog. I use standard Blogger commenting tool, which does NOT have Disqus as login option. There are options like OpenID, Google Account, AIM, Anonymous... but nothing about Disqus.
tracyanne

Dec 21, 2011
10:40 PM EDT
@dd, thre blogger comment login is a pain in the arse as well. Far too many of these comment "services" make it far too difficult to comment. What's wrong with supplying my screen name and a site name. Some blog comment tools allow that. I don't want to be a member of Blogger.com, or DISCUS, I just want to make an adhoc comment, without having to be annonymous.
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
12:19 AM EDT
OK, I'm with darkduck on this one. My blogs are on blogger (at least until next month), have been for years, and you can just login with a username and password. I don't allow anonymous comments because I had way too much SPAM and hate posts when I did. Sorry, ta, but I know that if someone can't be bothered to login to Blogger to post a comment then I can't be bothered to care about what they have to say.
darkduck

Dec 22, 2011
8:37 AM EDT
@tracyanne: There is still an option to comment as Anonymous on my blog. You even don't need to provide your e-mail in this case. Please read all the options carefully before complaining. Moreover, I see you submitted a comment for this. You should have noticed it.
tracyanne

Dec 22, 2011
5:04 PM EDT
I don't want to comment as anonymous. I just can't be bothered with the poxy login processes when i feel the need to make an adhoc comment.
darkduck

Dec 22, 2011
6:05 PM EDT
@tracyanne: You correctly used another option: user name and URL. Blogger doesn't check the URL, so you could use any. And you did. Thanks for your comment. I still don't see the point of complaining about Disqus which is simply does not exist on my site.
tracyanne

Dec 22, 2011
6:14 PM EDT
Perhaps dd I simply selected the wrong link on lxer to reply to.
darkduck

Dec 22, 2011
7:36 PM EDT
Probably you did. Let's settle on this. 8-)
tracyanne

Dec 22, 2011
8:05 PM EDT
dd I just made another comment on one of your blogs.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 22, 2011
8:34 PM EDT
Aw ... you guys are bumming me out. I'm using Disqus, and I want to use it more. Would you rather I used Facebook Commenting? All we are saying, is give Disqus a chance ...
tracyanne

Dec 23, 2011
6:18 AM EDT
That would probably be why I've never commented on your blog.
BernardSwiss

Dec 23, 2011
12:48 PM EDT
I, for one, actively avoid Facebook.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!