Even WSJ readership thinks this is ludicrous

Story: Apple Ruling Hits Android Total Replies: 5
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2011
9:43 PM EDT
Going by the comment section attached to the article, even the Wall Street Journal's readership sees these patents as trivial, old news (ie. pre-existing art), and yet another sign that the patent system (at least regarding software) is badly broken.
helios

Dec 21, 2011
6:54 AM EDT
And THIS is where the weight of an outdated patent system is going to be felt. I get the impression that the US courts will tolerate this lawsuit nonsense for eternity. But when you start screwing with the consumer and what she wants, then it might start making a difference. I just hope HTC won't roll over like the rest of the manufacturers. Apple needs girl-slapped into reality.
gus3

Dec 21, 2011
9:49 AM EDT
I doubt that too, helios. Nobody stopped the illegal car warranty robo-calls a couple years ago, until they called a legislator's phone. That's what got them shut down, not the tens of thousands of complaints like mine that the FCC got.
JaseP

Dec 21, 2011
10:50 AM EDT
Yep you have to buy, or tick off, a high ranking politico to get anything done any more ...
BernardSwiss

Dec 21, 2011
8:13 PM EDT
What I was try to suggest (admittedly rather obliquely) is that even "pro-business" folk are starting to sneer at the current US Patents situation.

I wonder how high up the hierarchy this understanding penetrates, and what it might signify in the longer term.

JaseP

Dec 22, 2011
11:03 AM EDT
Buy a scale (like the "Lady justice" kind), and weigh the money from one side against the money from the other, ... and that's how to determine when things will change.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!