Another clueless wannabe Linux blogger

Story: KDE SC 4.8 – Is KDE In A Permanent Feature Freeze?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
cmost

Dec 28, 2011
11:06 AM EDT
"KDE 4.8 is a major release number. As such, I was hoping for some pretty cool new features."

Um no. A major release will be KDE 5.0. Why on earth would anyone think moving from KDE 4.7 to 4.8 would yield myriad new features? It's a point release for crying out loud and as such, common sense would dictate that it would encompass bug fixes (which it does), ever more spit and polish (which it does) and perhaps a "feature" or two that serve to evolve the overall system and solve problems (which the few new features do). This blogger needs to understand how FOSS works and stop waiting with baited breath for the next big shake up. If he wants that, then maybe he needs to circle over the Canonical Unity camp.
gus3

Dec 28, 2011
11:51 AM EDT
Actually, won't 5.0 be a beta?
andyprough

Dec 28, 2011
12:14 PM EDT
From the blog: "One example is the use of akonadi in KDEPIM. This was not stable enough to release until KDE 4.6. I have tried to use kmail in each of the releases since, as kmail was (in the past) my favorite mail client ever. However, it simply does not work. I cannot enter account details without it crashing."

If my favorite email program was not working, I would take steps to correct it (help forums for instance), rather than simply giving up when it wouldn't accept my account information. kmail is working fine on my 4.6 system.
cmost

Dec 28, 2011
12:45 PM EDT
@ andyprough

Yeah, I don't know what's been up with KDE's PIM suite lately. It received absolutely horrible reviews in a recent 'Linux Format' issue. It seems as though the KDE devs WANT this suite of programs to die a slow and ugly death. I agree with you wholeheartedly, someone is asleep at the switch with regards to fixing what's broken! And for the record, I disable akonadi. In my opinion it's a terrible implementation and fails to work as advertised most of the time.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 28, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
I'm still laughing at the phrase, "wannabe Linux blogger" -- as if the bar is so high ...
DrDubious

Dec 28, 2011
10:29 PM EDT
Honestly, people have been throwing tantrums complaining (to paraphrase) that stupid KDE developers keep doing all these stupid new features that nobody wants and they should just fix what the stupid bugs and stop wasting time on new features (stupid).

Now people are complaining that they're just fixing bugs and not making new features.

I'm convinced people just like to complain.

(For the record, though, I have to agree about kmail - when it works, it IS still my favorite email program, and 4.7 was working pretty well, but the 4.8 release-candidate seems to be having stability issues. Hopefully will be working correctly again when the official release hits.)
dinotrac

Dec 29, 2011
5:16 AM EDT
@cmost --

So -- if you call a a to-may-to a to-mah-to, will it still taste the same?

KDE developers have been piling on new features in the assorted 4.x releases. Is calling the .x releases "major" and worse than the KDE team's decision to designate 4.0 as, ummm, 4.0?

How useful, exactly, is hyper-correctness when KDE 3.0 went on for 6 full years? How about the Linux 2.6 kernel -- nearly 8 years of minor tweaks? Try telling that to somebody who needed wireless support back in 2004.
helios

Dec 29, 2011
9:38 AM EDT
Try telling that to somebody who needed wireless support back in 2004.

Good point Dino. I will ALWAYS remember the 6.27 release day. That was when about 75 percent of Linux wireless problems evaporated into the mist and my job, hence my life, became so much easier.
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2011
10:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Honestly, people have been throwing tantrums complaining (to paraphrase) that stupid KDE developers keep doing all these stupid new features that nobody wants and they should just fix what the stupid bugs and stop wasting time on new features (stupid).

Now people are complaining that they're just fixing bugs and not making new features.
Not the same people.
Fettoosh

Dec 29, 2011
3:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Honestly, people have been throwing tantrums complaining...

Not the same people.

You can't please everyone soo you've got to please yourself

I guess that is what they did.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!