New story! A Simple Bash Shell Script to Convert MP3s to Ogg

Story: A Simple Bash Shell Script to Convert MP3s to Ogg VorbisTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
notbob

Jan 10, 2012
5:19 PM EDT
While this script may do what it claims, people should be warned it's not a good idea to convert MP3 to Ogg Vorbis files. This, from Vorbis.com:

"You can convert any audio format to Ogg Vorbis. However, converting from one lossy format, like MP3, to another lossy format, like Vorbis, is generally a bad idea. Both MP3 and Vorbis encoders achieve high compression ratios by throwing away parts of the audio waveform that you probably won't hear. However, the MP3 and Vorbis codecs are very different, so they each will throw away different parts of the audio, although there certainly is some overlap. Converting a MP3 to Vorbis involves decoding the MP3 file back to an uncompressed format, like WAV, and recompressing it using the Ogg Vorbis encoder. The decoded MP3 will be missing the parts of the original audio that the MP3 encoder chose to discard. The Ogg Vorbis encoder will then discard other audio components when it compresses the data. At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting file will sound worse than your original MP3. In no case will you get a file that sounds better than the original MP3."

Just a heads up for LX readers.

nb
tracyanne

Jan 10, 2012
5:48 PM EDT
While I didn't know that, I couldn't see the point.
acrossad

Jan 10, 2012
7:45 PM EDT
It is true that converting from one lossy format to another results in a loss of information. However, I personally could not tell a difference. I converted 2 mp3 files from Amazon's MP3 store that started out a very high quality encoding bitrate. You have to take that into consideration. If you start out with an mp3 encoded at 392 kBits/second, it may still sound far better when converted to Ogg Vorbis than an mp3 version of the song encoded at 128 or 192 kBits/second.

I recommend that people listen to the sound quality themselves AFTER the conversion, and make a decision based on whether THEY find it acceptable or not. One thing that I have learned is to NEVER mindlessly listen to someone else's advise. Try it yourself and make YOUR OWN decision. While the Vorbis.com recommendation makes sense, in my own experimentation, I found the Ogg Vorbis files to be of very high quality when compared to the original mp3s. As such, I WILL continue to convert mp3s that I buy to Ogg Vorbis, at least until these companies make them available for purchase in Ogg Vorbis format.
gus3

Jan 10, 2012
9:13 PM EDT
High bit rate usually means less loss, but it also means more storage space and more I/O during playback. Again, caveat lector.
kenjennings

Jan 11, 2012
9:56 AM EDT
"I found the Ogg Vorbis files to be of very high quality when compared to the original mp3s" That would be miraculous. Converting a lossy format to another lossy format cannot produce higher quality than the original. At best it could be equal. Everything I have are Ogg files converted from wav files ripped from CDs. My lifetime CD purchases (about 250 discs) pack nicely into less than 10G.
JaseP

Jan 11, 2012
11:56 AM EDT
Keep in mind that Ogg & MP3 have slightly different psycho-acoustics applied. So, theoretically at least, someone who appreciates the acoustic properties of Ogg files may prefer them to an MP4 file from which they are converted. You lose data, for sure. But, you may gain more pleasurable acoustic properties. Again, that is theoretically speaking, of course.
caitlyn

Jan 13, 2012
1:00 AM EDT
Give me FLAC or give me... No, never mind.
gus3

Jan 13, 2012
7:07 AM EDT
Or give me raw s16le!
JaseP

Jan 13, 2012
10:20 AM EDT
For some things,... give me analog...
tracyanne

Jan 13, 2012
5:20 PM EDT
It's 7:30 Am, give me breakfast

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!