Putting a square peg in a round hole rarely works well

Story: Missing the Point of WordPress EntirelyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
caitlyn

Jan 13, 2012
1:06 AM EDT
Joe Brockmeier hits the nail on the head with this one. If you use a tool for something it isn't designed to do then you are going to get less than optimal results. There are perfectly good and very much more flexible FOSS CMS packages out there. Drupal, anyone? WordPress is brilliant at what it was designed to do.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 13, 2012
1:36 AM EDT
Joe mentioned a couple of WordPress plugins that bring some copy flow and document management to the system that are well worth looking into.
Koriel

Jan 13, 2012
3:35 AM EDT
I use Wordpress for my website, it looks fine, does exactly what i need it to do and for what it doesn't do, plugins have pretty much provided me with a more than adequate solution.

Maintenance is simple, I have full backup scheduled for twice a week using the Xcloner plugin.

Some people are never happy and as for IE6 support please don't make me laugh its 2012 and not even MS supports it.
jacog

Jan 13, 2012
4:13 AM EDT
Agreed, it's a blogging tool and should not be expected to be anything else. However, I have used it in some square peg/round hole cases. But in these cases I usually had my head in developer mode, and mostly just relied on the very well-written API hooks it provides for people to extend and modify it.

Wordpress accomplishes exactly what it "tries" to be, but it's built in such a way that it can be more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!