Much ado about a non-issue

Story: Responses To The Linux Desktop Security ProblemTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Jan 20, 2012
2:52 PM EDT
If you have physical access to the box a screensaver provides no security whatsoever. If I pull the plug then reboot from a live CD or USB I can access anything on the system anyway unless the hard drive is encrypted. Heck, I can pull the hard drive too. If this allowed a remote exploit I'd be worried. As it is, it's much ado about nothing, or at least nothing meaningful.
jdixon

Jan 20, 2012
5:05 PM EDT
> Heck, I can pull the hard drive too.

You can, but there's no need. Just do a sector by sector back up to your external drive and crack it at your leisure. You don't even leave any evidence behind.
gus3

Jan 20, 2012
5:11 PM EDT
You hope you leave no evidence.

And you hope there's no keystroke logger inside the case.
jdixon

Jan 20, 2012
5:18 PM EDT
> You hope you leave no evidence. > And you hope there's no keystroke logger inside the case.

True, but I don't know of any companies which have made a practice of putting keystroke loggers in their machines yet. Do you?

I can think of at least one way to defeat a keystroke logger, but that would likely shoot the no evidence section above.

caitlyn

Jan 20, 2012
5:31 PM EDT
Thanks, guys. You've made my point all the more clear :)
jdixon

Jan 20, 2012
5:43 PM EDT
It's our pleasure to be of assistance, Caitlyn. :)
mbaehrlxer

Jan 21, 2012
7:22 AM EDT
there is more than the data on my disk to protect. if you reboot the machine you can not get to the online service, the vpn or the ssh session that i was connected to before, whose passwords are only in my head.

not considering that rebooting may take you longer than it takes me to come back whereas just killing the screensaver would leave you enough time to plant something.

and as for leaving no evidence behind, the fact that the machine has rebooted would already be enough to make me suspicious and start investigating.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!