The US governement does not need due process

Story: Two lessons from the Megaupload seizure Total Replies: 21
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2012
6:28 PM EDT
when it acts on behalf of the (Corporate) copyright owners. It also does not need SOPA, or PIPA.

Regardless of the ethics or legality of "piracy", or even if Megauploads engages in "piracy" the US government can, and obviously will shut down websites, without due process, merely upon an accusation. The owners of Megauploads must now work to prove themselves innocent, rather than the US government prove them Guilty.

Quoting:Whether intended or not, the message is unmistakable: Congratulations, citizens, on your cute little “democracy” victory in denying us the power to shut down websites without a trial: we’re now going to shut down one of your most popular websites without a trial.

It may, at this time, be a long bow to draw, if one wants to compare the US to NAZI Germany, but the comaprisons between China and the US are clear. There is now little difference. The Government has both the power and the will to do virtually anything it wants. Is that not the conditions upon which a Police state thrives,?
caitlyn

Jan 21, 2012
7:14 PM EDT
If you really think the U.S. is like Nazi Germany then there is no hope for you. Where is the U.S. committing genocide? Hate to tell you this, but an indictment has been enough to seize material related to the alleged crime in the U.S. from the start. The same is true in the U.K. Are they Nazis too? How about the French, who have similar laws? Nazis too? How about New Zealand, who worked hand-in-hand with the FBI on this case? The U.S. isn't a police state except in the mind of ultra-liberals who have never experienced a police state.

I have, in the course of my work in my life, traveled to and done business in places like Suharto's Indonesia and Mubarak's Egypt. When you land in Taiwan you are warned as you enter the airport that if you have drugs, even the most minute quantity, on your person or in your baggage, you will be executed. Period, end of discussion. Finding the drugs is all they need. Oh, and those military people with machine guns in the Taipei airport are oh so welcoming, aren't they? That is what a police state looks like.

I am sick and tired of your trivializing of the Holocaust. Stop being an insensitive clod and think about the fact that you are unlikely to get people to agree with you by being intentionally offensive at every turn.
Khamul

Jan 21, 2012
7:19 PM EDT
[editor: removed for TOS violation]

There's nothing wrong with drawing parallels and looking for similarities.

tracyanne

Jan 21, 2012
7:36 PM EDT
The US government agency has been very cunning, they have charged Mega Uploads with a crime, so they can do this. see http://usdoj.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/.

Megauploads may only have the same number of "illegal" copyrighted material, as YouTube, scattered among all their other legal materials, but to ensure that the site can be taken down under seizure laws, they have been charged with racketaeering and money laundering, both of which are crimes.
albinard

Jan 21, 2012
7:55 PM EDT
TA, you could have shortened the first couple of lines of your post to read: The US governement does not need due process when it acts on behalf of its (Corporate) owners.
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2012
8:29 PM EDT
point taken albinard
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2012
9:21 PM EDT
FWIW, here is more on Megaupload on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2012
9:24 PM EDT
Christian Science Monitor:

If feds can bust Megaupload, why bother with anti-piracy bills? http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0121/If-feds-can-bust-Mega...
Quoting: "Advocates of the legislation have always said that piracy was costing America billions in jobs and endangering jobs," writes Mr. Popper. "Stronger laws were needed, they argued, even if they might pose risks of censorship, chill investment in tech and damage the fundamental architecture of the internet. But the DOJ was able to rely on ProIP, a law passed back in 2008, in order to shut down Megaupload."
djohnston

Jan 21, 2012
10:50 PM EDT
Quoting:The U.S. isn't a police state except in the mind of ultra-liberals who have never experienced a police state.

Well, I'm about as far away from liberalism as one can get. But, I see the Fascist parallels between Nazi Germany in the 1920s and 1930s and the United States today. Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. I was born a bit after World War II ended, so I cannot speak from a first hand point of view. But, I can read history. And the historical parallels are scary.

No, I have not been confined to this country my entire life. Name a country in eastern Asia or an island group or archipelago in the western Pacific, and the chances are that I've been there. And, it wasn't in a tourist group, if you know what I mean.

Quoting:When you land in Taiwan you are warned as you enter the airport that if you have drugs, even the most minute quantity, on your person or in your baggage, you will be executed.

Singapore, too. Been there, done that. The Phillipines had the death penalty under Marcos. Can't speak for the Taipei airport, but I'm sure that Kaohsiung's is about the same.

Quoting:I am sick and tired of your trivializing of the Holocaust.

Didn't see that one coming. I have read tracyanne's comment four times now. Nowhere do I see a mention of the Holocaust.
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2012
2:19 AM EDT
By the way. If you do a search for Megauploads you will find a link that takes you to a page that displays the following message.

Quoting:WE DON'T HAVE ANY DOMAIN NAME FOR NOW

ONLY THIS IP ADDRESS (http://109.236.83.66) BEWARE TO THE PISHING SITES!

This is the NEW MEGAUPLOAD SITE! we are working to be back full again

Bookmark the site and share the new address in facebook and twitter!

It's highly likely they will have worked around the US sezure of their domain in little time at all, and like the website that actually proclaims itself a pirate, and actually goes out of it's way to facilitate the "piracy" of copyrighted material (Pirate Bay), will be up and running again in short order.
helios

Jan 22, 2012
3:12 AM EDT
That link will not connect from my terminal.
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2012
3:30 AM EDT
Interesting. It's a simple page with twitter and facebook links, even the embedded java script comes from twitter and facebook, and is included in the copy pasted code from those two sites. There's nothing special about the page at all.
helios

Jan 22, 2012
4:50 AM EDT
Yep...got it this time. Last time got timeout error. Just a marker for the page to come.
vainrveenr

Jan 22, 2012
7:16 AM EDT
Quoting:If you really think the U.S. is like Nazi Germany then there is no hope for you. Where is the U.S. committing genocide? Hate to tell you this, but an indictment has been enough to seize material related to the alleged crime in the U.S. from the start. The same is true in the U.K. Are they Nazis too? How about the French, who have similar laws? Nazis too? How about New Zealand, who worked hand-in-hand with the FBI on this case? The U.S. isn't a police state except in the mind of ultra-liberals who have never experienced a police state.
OTOH, there are some in the U.S. academic community who have quite vociferously and distinctly pointed out verisimilitudes between the U.S. and Nazi Germany.

One such key academician is the renown Dr. Naomi Wolf ("ultra-liberal"??), who less than a handful of years came out with her poignant ten-point treatise 'The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot'.

Here is an inordinately relevant quote from the Amazon.com book review of this Winner of the 2008 NAUTILUS SILVER AWARD in the category of Social Change/Activism :
Quoting:In a stunning indictment of the Bush administration and Congress, best-selling author Naomi Wolf lays out her case for saving American democracy. In authoritative research and documentation Wolf explains how events of the last six years parallel steps taken in the early years of the 20th century's worst dictatorships such as Germany, Russia, China, and Chile.

The book cuts across political parties and ideologies and speaks directly to those among us who are concerned about the ever-tightening noose being placed around our liberties.

In this timely call to arms, Naomi Wolf compels us to face the way our free America is under assault. She warns us‚-with the straight-to-fellow-citizens urgency of one of Thomas Paine's revolutionary pamphlets‚-that we have little time to lose if our children are to live in real freedom.

"Recent history has profound lessons for us in the U.S. today about how fascist, totalitarian, and other repressive leaders seize and maintain power, especially in what were once democracies. The secret is that these leaders all tend to take very similar, parallel steps. The Founders of this nation were so deeply familiar with tyranny and the habits and practices of tyrants that they set up our checks and balances precisely out of fear of what is unfolding today. We are seeing these same kinds of tactics now closing down freedoms in America, turning our nation into something that in the near future could be quite other than the open society in which we grew up and learned to love liberty,‚" states Wolf.

Wolf is taking her message directly to the American people in the most accessible form and as part of a large national campaign to reach out to ordinary Americans about the dangers we face today. This includes a lecture and speaking tour, and being part of the nascent American Freedom Campaign, a grassroots efforts to ensure that presidential candidates pledge to uphold the constitution and protect our liberties from further erosion.

The End of America will shock, enrage, and motivate‚-spurring us to act, as the Founders would have counted on us to do in a time such as this, as rebels and patriots‚-to save our liberty and defend our nation.
(source: http://www.amazon.com/End-America-Letter-Warning-Patriot/dp/1933392797 )

Here are an admittedly-few online resources which might best review and/or explain the ten tenets Wolf brings in her book:

- Amazon.com's Customer Reviews: 'The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot' found at http://www.amazon.com/End-America-Letter-Warning-Patriot/product-reviews/1933392797

- Google Books review found at http://books.google.com/books/about/The_end_of_America.html?id=GEcwAQAAIAAJ

- 'Fascist America, in 10 easy steps' found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment

- A YouTube video viewed over a million times; 'Talk by Naomi Wolf author of "The End of America: Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot" given October 11, 2007 at Kane Hall on the University of Washington campus', found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc

- A downloadable PDF of 'The End of America: Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot', found at http://media.portland.indymedia.org/media/2008/10/381133.pdf

---

Whether or not ALL TEN tenets remain applicable under the U.S.'s current Obama Administration, Wolf distinctly makes a comparison between the U.S. and Nazi Germany and does manage to assert that there IS INDEED "hope for you" and hope for other concerned U.S. Citizens, in her 2007 book.

Therefore, Wolf's 'The End of America: Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot' STILL makes a good read for many, especially given the news of the U.S.'s extradition process for the Megaupload seizure.

theBeez

Jan 22, 2012
7:52 AM EDT
Well, if you cry "Nazi Germany", people are standing on their chairs, while when you connect Mao Tze Tung to mass murder, the same people say "What?". The whole point is the definition. Guns on airports are dramatic, but not quite the essence of a police state. Capital punishment for smuggling drugs may be dramatic, but not quite the essence of a police state. But detaining people without a trail is plain evil outside war time situations - that is: case of emergency. Parliament is another thing as well, if only most major communist dictatorships hadn't had an *elected* parliament (strange, but true) even with *different* parties (although with fixed numbers in parliament). However, nowadays is is impossible for an ordinary man in the US to grab any seat in any body without very substantial funding. The truth is rather more complex than a simple statement like "The US is a police state", while the REAL question is what do you want the US to be as a country? Do you condone detention without a trail? Does your representative condone that? Is it just words or does he have a real track record? And much more important: how many people do really care?
gus3

Jan 22, 2012
8:04 AM EDT
I'll dip my pinkie toe in it and simply say:

Part I of Frank Capra's "Why We Fight." And think very carefully about what you see.
theBeez

Jan 22, 2012
9:35 AM EDT
@gus3 After all these years some people still appeal to my amazement to something that was designed to simply evoke emotions and make you stop asking the right questions.
gus3

Jan 22, 2012
1:36 PM EDT
@Beez, that's why I added that last sentence.
Khamul

Jan 22, 2012
3:41 PM EDT
Maybe I'm missing something, but the one big difference I see between the Nazis and other similar situations, and the US today, is that the bad guys seizing power don't seem to be a small group like that, with a charismatic leader. In our case, it's more like a large, vague, cabal of various corporate and other moneyed interests; maybe that's why all the changes seem to be moving slower, because they don't have a single nefarious agenda, but several agendas that conflict at times.

There was a fairly silly movie back in the 80s that seemed to accurately predict a lot of things going on now, called "The Running Man" with Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's worth watching again if you haven't seen it lately.
cgagnon

Jan 22, 2012
4:02 PM EDT
I think we (the US) will become an Idiocracy before things get better http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

I say that some what tongue in cheek but it sure seems we're headed in that direction.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 22, 2012
5:19 PM EDT
@cgagnon - Will?
BernardSwiss

Jan 22, 2012
9:36 PM EDT
Fascist, Stalinist, whatever you want to call it, the trend -- and the problem -- is real, and getting worse, as Naomi Wolf's work -- and experience -- does point out rather clearly to any who bother to actually look.

Just a couple of recent news articles:

- - - - - - - - - -

Occupy Wall St: Naomi Wolf condemns 'Stalinist' erosion of protest rights

Author was arrested alongside Occupy Wall Street protesters after she disputed police claims that they had to clear sidewalk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/19/naomi-wolf-occup...

Naomi Wolf: how I was arrested at Occupy Wall Street

Arresting a middle-aged writer in an evening gown for peaceable conduct is a far cry from when America was a free republic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/oct/...

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't particularly care for the woman, but she makes a solid argument that the USA is becoming rather totalitarian, and definitely not conforming to the relevant constitutional principles.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!