Best News ...

Story: Spark tablet introduced with Pre-Installed LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jan 29, 2012
5:04 PM EDT
Best news I heard in a long time. I hope it will not be released until it is solid ready and it passed the highest QA testing.

I also hope they will have another model with bigger screen (12") and more powerful hardware. I will definitely buy one.

Is this the dawn of hardware with pre-installed Linux?

DrGeoffrey

Jan 29, 2012
5:10 PM EDT
Quoting:Is this the dawn of hardware with pre-installed Linux?

I'll bet the people at Zareason and System76 will be happy to hear that.
montezuma

Jan 29, 2012
6:12 PM EDT
Does it come with gnome instead? (joke)
JaseP

Jan 30, 2012
11:05 AM EDT
I just hope it's got gorilla glass. Poor build quality tablets may be cheaper, but they break easier.
Fettoosh

Jan 30, 2012
11:16 AM EDT
Quoting:I'll bet the people at Zareason and System76 will be happy to hear that.

Zareason & System76 did and continue to offer pre-installed Linux, but the high pricing from Zareason and low resources from System76 didn't help Linux proliferation much. Open-PC also made a pretty good small form factor PC but, unfortunately the pricing was kind of high.

Personally, I always advocated for a FOSS organization to release its own device with support. I believe this is the only way Linux is going to rapidly flourish. Canonical/Ubuntu should have done that but didn't, I am glad KDE is doing it. I am sure Gnome could and should do the same in collaboration with KDE.

With the Spark, the hardware is decent for very reasonable price, it is a tablet, and currently is a very desirable form factor. Most of all, it comes with software that is integrated, controlled and delivered by a FOSS organization. I am hoping for the best, but I guess we shall see how it is going to develop.

Quoting:Edited: This is a unique opportunity for Free software. Finally we have a device coming to market on our terms. It has been designed by and is usable by us on our terms. We are not waiting for some big company to give us what we desire, we're going out there and making it happen together.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!