I can't believe I still read these.

Story: How to install Ubuntu the way you've never done it beforeTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
smallboxadmin

Jan 30, 2012
6:20 PM EDT
Use this script and then fix 10 known problems. *SIGH* How about I just install the Linux OS, pick the options I want during installation, yes you can do that, and then do any post installation tasks?

BTW, what installation options does a Windows 7 installation give you that any major Linux distribution doesn't?

Excuse me while I go get a hammer and smash a finger.
JaseP

Jan 30, 2012
6:43 PM EDT
I remember back in my old SuSE and Mandrake days, this is what you did,... You picked the packages you wanted to install, and could drill down and unselect ones you had no bother with... It was a lot better than nowadays, with 3.5+ GB minimum installs.
darkduck

Jan 30, 2012
6:44 PM EDT
I think I have already replied you and all of those who are too narrow minded to read and watch carefully.

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2012/01/how-to-install-ubuntu.html?showComment=1327963379202#c5813203537397072365
Koriel

Jan 30, 2012
8:08 PM EDT
Slackware lets you pick and choose to an insane level during install, there I just named a distro that allows it, wow that wasn't difficult and took me only a fraction of second to come up with it.

I'm sure if I could be bothered to google, I could find a lot more.

I have to admit their seems to be a lot more cr@ppy articles on Lxer than their used to be, maybe some greater editing control needs to be applied.
Khamul

Jan 30, 2012
8:57 PM EDT
@Koriel: we just had a giant flamewar in one of these message threads over that very topic, and the consensus seems to be that anything even remotely Linux-related needs to be automatically accepted, even if it's nothing more substantive than an "article" showing a picture of your cat standing in front of your Linux computer. Sorry. I know I personally would love to get rid of the click-bait articles from Ken Hess and that other guy who thinks vendor lock-in is fine and dandy.

smallboxadmin

Jan 30, 2012
11:24 PM EDT
@darkduck As Koriel pointed out, you can do this in Slackware. You can also select packages at install with Fedora and CentOS. Using the Ubuntu Alternate CD you can also do the same. It appears you didn't research the issue at all.

Fedora Package Selection

Your response, which includes name calling, not only shows your lack of knowledge and experience, but also a lack of maturity.

As far as LXer, I don't mind including posts like this, but the authors should be prepared for criticism when it is appropriate. If LXer allows constructive feedback, I see no problem.

I think darkduck owes the readers of LXer an apology.
Jeff91

Jan 30, 2012
11:35 PM EDT
Darkduck constantly posts things of low-quality with little background research.

I used to comment about them, but now I just no longer click into them. Glad to know I haven't missed anything decent by skipping them.

~Jeff
Khamul

Jan 31, 2012
1:06 AM EDT
However low-quality you think Darkduck's articles may be, they're nowhere near as bad as those by Ken Hess. But even KH looks good compared to the new click-baiter, "Libervis". He's right down there with Rob Enderle. Luckily we haven't been assaulted with any of RE's trash in a long time; I wonder if he stopped writing.

Fettoosh

Jan 31, 2012
9:42 AM EDT
Quoting:I wonder if he stopped writing.

Either he made enough money already or most probably the checks stopped coming due to his uselessness. :-)

BernardSwiss

Jan 31, 2012
9:17 PM EDT
I suspect that he's thoroughly scuttled his own credibility, to the point that anyone with a clue ignores him.

Wkipedia wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Enderle#Comments

Enderle frequently comments in the media on a variety of technology companies, including HP,[11] Google,[12] Sony,[13] Microsoft [14] and Oracle,[15] and on technology-related topics, such as security [16] and consumer technology.[17]

Enderle's analysis of free and open source software, Linux in particular, is disputed by the FOSS community.[18][19] Speaking publicly in 2004 in a talk announced under the title "Free Software and the Fools Who Use it"[20] and presented under the title "Free Software and the Idiots who Buy It" Enderle explained his "position on Linux as a Free software scam" claiming that "it doesn't contribute to anything" (i.e. neither any common good nor any private good) and that "it may not even be sustainable on a large scale". He went on to state that those who doubt SCO's right to extract revenue from Linux users "are attacking because they disagree with the legal rights of these companies" without mention that the Linux community believes that SCO is infringing on the rights of Linux's authors.[21][22] Enderle has consistently and repeatedly recommended against Linux and intimated its failure writing such things as: "Moving away from Red Hat is the better of the two options..."[23] (2004); "... the PC OEMs don't, and probably never will, fully support Linux on the desktop"[24] (2006); "Linux exists in an environment where ... the opportunity for traditional, old style, data breach is immeasurable."[25]

That Wiki page doesn't even appear to be very actively maintained. He also was quite insistent that Apple wouldn't get anything useful out of the then new iPhones, or the iPad.

But apparently he's still active, and still spouting, and some people are still assuming that he's worth quoting, if only because he was once "the most quoted industry analyst". For example he has a blog on Forbes http://blogs.forbes.com/robenderle/ (It's a blog -- so I've no idea whether that's by invitation or by hubris).

But only Linux/Foss publication where I've seen him referenced recently is Linux Insider, which I'm sure many will take as only proving the point. I could easily be wrong, but I suspect that even in his old haunts he's seen more as a doddering old "commentator emeritus" who gets invited to say a few words from time to time, for old times sake, even though he's clearly not competent anymore, than as a voice to be taken seriously.

Khamul

Jan 31, 2012
9:32 PM EDT
With the stuff he was writing, it's hard to determine if he was incompetent, or rather a paid shill. It looked a lot more like the latter.

I somehow missed his crazy claims about Apple. You should submit some changes to the Wiki page with that stuff; that'll make him look even worse than the quotes you have here, as the iPhone has been a runaway success.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2012
10:43 PM EDT
> I have to admit their seems to be a lot more cr@ppy articles on Lxer than their used to be,

Note it in the comments (which you've done) and drop a note to the editors in private mail. If they get enough complaints they'll consider changing the standards. Please note the words if and consider, however.

> ...we just had a giant flamewar in one of these message threads over that very topic,,,

You think THAT was a flamewar? Kids these days.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!