Ah gee, Ken I hate when you do this to me.

Story: Google Chrome, I love ya but...Total Replies: 11
Author Content
dinotrac

Feb 01, 2012
10:14 AM EDT
I gave you the click and nodded my head in agreement while reading.

And...the next time you say something silly like we should only be using toasters that run in the cloud, I'll probably give you another click and then...um...not nod my head in agreement while reading.

If only you truly were the talent-free oaf you so ably portray.

WRT Chrome ... Snap! I know what you mean, although I get those on Linux.

I've been using Chrome (Oh, all right -- Chromium) as my primary browser and mostly find it more pleasant than Firefox. I might really like it if I ever completely figure it out, though I'm not to thrilled that something as basic as a browser would require me to completely figure it out.

You might like Opera. You might hate Opera. I always have it around as my fallback browser and I like it fine. It's zippy quick and has a personality all its own. It's got a pretty decent debugger that I use when I'm having, ummm, issues with web pages I'm developing -- an all-too-frequent occurrence for somebody who's spent a lot more time developing back-end stuff than front-end.

Truthfully, I don't have a whole lot to say. It's just that, given all the times I've said not-nice things about some of your pieces, it didn't seem right to clam up when I enjoyed one.

jdixon

Feb 01, 2012
11:59 AM EDT
Yeah, that's the problem with Ken. Every once in a while he has a good point or two.

Of course, this could just be the blind hog and acorn effect.
dinotrac

Feb 01, 2012
12:25 PM EDT
@jdixon -

Being in an especially charitable mood today, I prefer to think that Ken simply suffers from the IQ equivalent of mood swings.

Either that or he doesn't always remember to drink his morning coffee.
Khamul

Feb 01, 2012
1:44 PM EDT
A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

I didn't read TFA, only the summary, but I haven't had any problems with any crashes in Chromium. Of course, I don't use Chrome, but rather the open-source version that doesn't have the extra junk that Chrome does, so maybe that makes a difference. The only thing I don't like is that I tried out the mode where it eliminates the regular window manager's titlebar and buttons in favor of its own; I didn't like it, and tried to switch back, and instead got no buttons or titlebar at all. Obviously a bug. I had to restart the browser to fix that. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing, a lot better than the recent versions of Firefox.
dinotrac

Feb 01, 2012
2:24 PM EDT
@khamul --

The "lot better than the recent versions of Firefox" thing has gotten me to using Chromium as well.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2012
4:49 PM EDT
And all I could think of while skimming his article was, "Why is he running Windows?"

Poor guy. He really should know better than to play with live, unpinned grenades (browse the internets while running Windows). But, I guess some can only learn the hard way.

Now that I think about it, my experience with Firefox is quite favorable (noscript is your friend). Even Chromium, with Notscripts is stable, too. But, I generally restrict Chromium to gmail and other google sites.

Perhaps he needs to be more circumspect when browsing? (Not to mention kick his fix.)
khess

Feb 01, 2012
7:09 PM EDT
Forgive me, it's menopause. I have to run Windows, it's what the corporate gods gave me. I don't get to choose. I had XP until just a couple of months ago, so I can't knock it.
khess

Feb 01, 2012
7:10 PM EDT
OH, and thanks for the positive comments. It's nice to know that like a broken clock, I'm not wrong all the time.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2012
7:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Forgive me, it's menopause. I have to run Windows, it's what the corporate gods gave me. I don't get to choose. I had XP until just a couple of months ago, so I can't knock it.

LOL!

I feel your pain. The gods at work have deigned to curse me with Windows, too. Besides, as another Ken around here has noted, fixing other peoples Window's headaches can help pay the bills.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2012
7:21 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm not wrong all the time.

Obviously, you're not married.
gus3

Feb 01, 2012
7:37 PM EDT
If the corporate self-declared deities want me to use that steaming pile, they supply it, and everything associated with it (maintenance, connectivity, etc.). It never, ever comes in contact with my home stuff. Otherwise, they find some other sucker.
khess

Feb 02, 2012
12:34 PM EDT
I'm married and yes, in that realm, I'm definitely wrong all the time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!