Author Content
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2012
5:44 PM EDT
Riiiggghhhhhhhttttt.
rijelkentaurus

Feb 01, 2012
7:47 PM EDT
Well, you could argue (for fun) that Windows Phone 7 enjoys the same security-by-obscurity that the Linux desktop purportedly does...I think the usage percentage is about the same 1%.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2012
9:49 PM EDT
And if anyone believes that, MS has another new! and improved! OS for them.

(Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh! Look at the pretty ribbon!)
Ridcully

Feb 01, 2012
11:11 PM EDT
Oh come on fellers, be nice. Windows is wonderful......no viruses at all. Highly secure. My laptop WinXP has worked consistently and perfectly for two years.....Terrific !!! It's just that it never gets connected to the internet.
gus3

Feb 02, 2012
7:16 AM EDT
It also works as expected while powered off.
Ridcully

Feb 02, 2012
8:05 AM EDT
Well......if I recall correctly, Sir William of glorious fame did once say that he designed Windows as a "stand alone system".......So, if you alter it minimally, do almost nothing with it, never connect to the internet, keep it as a tribute to uselessness........hey, it's brilliant. Just takes for ever to power up or down and whinges that you haven't done anything to update it.

Actually Gus3, it's reminiscent of the ultimate machine - I remember reading about it in ages past......Apparently it drove people crazy at an exhibit many years ago. It was a box with a toggle lever switch on one side. When you pressed the switch down to "ON", the box emitted a dreadful buzzing sound.....then the lid opened........and a big green hand slowly emerged which then flipped the switch back up to "OFF", then flew back inside the box and the lid snapped shut. Yep.....a Windows precursor.

Post script: just for fun I looked it up and that is even more interesting than Windows. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Shannon
tuxchick

Feb 02, 2012
12:44 PM EDT
Partnering with Microsoft has worked so well for Nokia.
rijelkentaurus

Feb 02, 2012
5:41 PM EDT
And IBM. And... And... And... And... And....
Ridcully

Feb 02, 2012
6:11 PM EDT
@tuxchick and "rigelcentaurus"........well, you don't have to be a partner. All you have to do is own a piece of software that threatens Microsoft's cash cow dominance.....Just ask what's left of Novell about WordPerfect. (And that still remains, IMHO, the best word processor in the proprietary world).

My apologies rijelkentaurus.....after I mixed up the letters of your name several times I gave up and wrote something I could at least follow ......and I managed to get your name right using a very slow "hunt and kill" method with single finger on the keyboard. :-)
gus3

Feb 02, 2012
6:56 PM EDT
@Ridcully, learn to type Croatian or Basque. Your fingers will trip the light fantastic!
tracyanne

Feb 02, 2012
7:50 PM EDT
rijelkentaurus, you're a star
Ridcully

Feb 02, 2012
9:16 PM EDT
And the closest to earth yet.....4.3 light years away. Gus3, I think you have a mean, underhand, sadistic streak in you.....I can tangle my fingers quite well enough on a qwerty keyboard without even contemplating the suggestions you made above. I'd get the "unsolvable knot"....but thankyou for the suggestion. LOL.... :-)
Khamul

Feb 02, 2012
10:07 PM EDT
Why bother getting your fingers tangled up with a QWERTY keyboard? Just switch to Dvorak.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!