DLNA sucks!

Story: Run a DLNA Server that Works with a Samsung TV Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Khamul

Feb 06, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
DLNA is a horrible standard, so it's no surprise that Samsung TVs don't work with a particular server. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player and wasn't able to get MediaTomb working either (or several other DLNA servers including uShare); what finally did work was using something called "miniDLNA". It's a small and simple DLNA server, and seems to work part of the time. The other part of the time, it doesn't work, for no apparent reason. The bottom line is that DLNA is garbage, so feel lucky if you get anything working at all.
r_a_trip

Feb 07, 2012
7:00 AM EDT
Don't know about Samsung TV's or Sony BluRay players, but PS3 MediaServer works reasonably well with a Playstation 3.

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

They claim the following support themselves:

question: Is there a list of supported media renderers (streaming clients) for PS3 Media Server?

answer: At the moment the PS3, XBOX360, and Philips (networked) TVs are well supported. There is experimental support for Sony Bravia and Samsung Wiselink tvs, XBMC (e.g. on XBOX), PopcornHour, FreeboxHD, and Realtek chip based media renderers. Other media renderers may work. You have to create a conf-file in renderers subdirectory of PMS installation directory.
Khamul

Feb 07, 2012
1:21 PM EDT
Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I just upgraded to a newer version of miniDLNA to see if that fixes the problem I was having before, but this other one is probably worth a look.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!