This is not Appeasement

Story: Red Hat Appoints First Female Fedora Project LeaderTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
kennethh

Feb 07, 2012
10:01 PM EDT
Interesting to see the amount of appluase at lxer, usually the fembots come out full rancor to point out that women are only to be to made fun of, put down and groped. It's nice to see that they have been put in their place yet again ;)

Congrats to Fedora & Robyn Bergeron
r_a_trip

Feb 08, 2012
4:47 AM EDT
Kennethh, I hope you do realise that characterising independent and confident women, standing up for their rights as human beings, as "fembots" is just the kind of thing that makes it necesarry for independent and confident women to fight for their rights as human beings.
gus3

Feb 08, 2012
7:42 AM EDT
r_a, I think you have it backwards. You're both on the same page in this matter.
caitlyn

Feb 08, 2012
2:03 PM EDT
I took kennethh's comment as an attack on sexism, not an attack on women. Did I get that wrong?
gus3

Feb 08, 2012
5:14 PM EDT
That's how I took it, too. So, we're both right, or we're both wrong.
tracyanne

Feb 08, 2012
6:34 PM EDT
what caitlyn said
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 08, 2012
10:56 PM EDT
I will apologize for not making a public statement until now but I think that it is awesome that Robyn Bergeron has been appointed the head of the Fedora project. I have been openly supportive of Women in FOSS since the day I became an editor at LXer. FOSS is supposed to be inclusive..not exclusive, and this is further proof of that.

:-)
kennethh

Feb 09, 2012
10:47 AM EDT
Obviously, my "attack" was on trolls who use issues to divide not bring together. I'm not a fedora user but I think it's great that Jane runs canonical and now Robyn leads fedora. And there are countless other stories for women to be proud of. But, it would be nice to hear from those that only use the issues as decisive wedges to perhaps tone it down a bit, but then, that would defeat said stated purpose of being troll's.
mrider

Feb 09, 2012
12:21 PM EDT
I doubt very seriously if I'll see it in my lifetime, but I look forward to the day when a person can be male or female, short or tall, plump or thin, black or white, whatever or whatever else, and nobody notices.

Congrats to Robyn Bergeron. I don't use Fedora, but that is an important position doing important work, and she deserves recognition (male or female).
Khamul

Feb 09, 2012
2:39 PM EDT
@mrider: I think that day will come just as soon as we have aliens from Rigel, Vulcan, Orion, and other star systems in regular contact with us.
cr

Feb 09, 2012
2:54 PM EDT
Quoting: I doubt very seriously if I'll see it in my lifetime, but I look forward to the day when a person can be male or female, short or tall, plump or thin, black or white, whatever or whatever else, and nobody notices.

This.

I grew up knowing that there are women smarter'n me -- the woman who tutored me between tries at Algebra II in HS was a scientist at Honeywell and Mitre -- and that the only things women can't do (as well as or better than men) are due to either biological necessities (a short commonsense list I needn't go into) or social coercion. I'm glad to see that get reflected in the real world of FLOSS; it's supposed to be about freedom, after all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!