Before everyone goes attacking Ken,...

Story: Enterprise-level BYOD and the quest for freedom: York County, VirginiaTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
JaseP

Feb 14, 2012
2:12 PM EDT
Before everyone attacks Ken for supporting BYOD policies, I think he has a point in supporting them,... but not for the reasons stated in the article. Moreover, I think BYOD is good in a school setting because the student (their patents, actually) are free to evaluate the licenses involved, as well as the hardware and make a decision they agree with. That said, I think it's good policy to line up a number of vendors from which the public may choose (or go with their own choice).

I personally would be very upset if I were forced by the school district to buy Apple or MS products, for my child, or be forced to support that device over my home network. I might even go as far as to threaten, even bring a lawsuit over it. BYOD, and a policy of being OS agnostic solves that problem. Ken just addressed the tech support side of the issue (in a one case example), for the most part.

skelband

Feb 14, 2012
3:14 PM EDT
@JaseP:

What he said.
BernardSwiss

Feb 14, 2012
8:14 PM EDT
Ken will be so disappointed with you guys... ;-)
r_a_trip

Feb 15, 2012
7:49 AM EDT
BYOD, and a policy of being OS agnostic solves that problem.

We are talking about the schooling system here. OS agnostic? No, no, no! That would be truly forward thinking and detrimental to the gadgets and thingamajigs the CIO gets from incumbent heavyweights for implementing "mutually beneficial guidelines and policies". York County Schools in the friendly article must be an exception to the rule.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

To comply with the BYOD and Security Policies of "Educational Institution A", your device has to comply to the following specifications:

A machine with processor architecture X, with speeds K to L. RAM up to 8 GB with a minimum of 3 GB. Screensize up to 17" with a minimum of 13". Connectivity facilities P, Q and R. Operating system Y, versions C to D.

You further agree to have security and monitoring software installed on your device and agree to be bound to the BYOD Code of Conduct Contracts (hereafter called the contracts) from "Educational Institution A". "Educational Institution A" reserves the right to monitor devices falling under the contracts at all times. The contractant agrees to be bound by the contracts and waives any applicable rights.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

BYOD will in the majority of cases mean you foot the bill for the device and your overlords (be it employers, educators, whatever) become the effective owners of it. Why go to the trouble of building the virtual infrastructure to support devices agnostically, when you can just absorb your minions in your "business as usual" IT organization and let them pay for the displeasure.

This isn't based on technological barriers of course, it is based solely on my low opinion of mankind in general. BYOD is supposed to save businesses money. It only saves them money if they don't have to change a thing and have others pay for it. Ergo, a BYOD "owner" will get all the legal liabilities and support hassles and none of the benefits of owning the brought device.
mbaehrlxer

Feb 15, 2012
8:46 AM EDT
r_a_trip: did you read the yorktown policy and faq? it is indeed OS agnostic, and it explicitly states that no software is to be installed. it is in fact all quite reasonable and even provides access to school equipment for students that don't have their own if the teacher wants students to use the devices in class.

the only concern is a paragraph about the right for the school to search the device if there is reasonable suspicion that the student has violated YCSD policies or related rules.

greetings, eMBee.
JaseP

Feb 15, 2012
9:46 AM EDT
Yeah, I wouldn't agree to a let a school system search my device... That's a fail in my book,... An employer?!?! That's different, ... they're (hopefully) paying me... I'd buy a second of whatever device I'm using just for the purpose of doing work (depending on the pay).
r_a_trip

Feb 16, 2012
10:30 AM EDT
@eMBee

did you read the yorktown policy and faq?

Did you read this? York County Schools in the friendly article must be an exception to the rule.

@JaseP

That's different, ... they're (hopefully) paying me... I'd buy a second of whatever device I'm using just for the purpose of doing work (depending on the pay).

If they do pay you for the extra computing power you bring, I see no problem. Most probably they won't. Why go to the trouble of letting people bring their own, if a company ends up paying for it anyway. BYOD is not about empowerment, it is about skimping on desktops/laptops and accompanying costs. Maybe work conditions in the USA are better when it comes to these things, but I can't see this going fairly in The Netherlands. Too many bean counters thinking they can miraculously turn a nickel into a dime.
mbaehrlxer

Feb 16, 2012
11:10 PM EDT
r_a_trip wrote:Did you read this? York County Schools in the friendly article must be an exception to the rule.
aparently not. sorry.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!