I'm Excited or Ecstatic!

Story: Ubuntu For Android Devcies Will Be Introduced At Mobile World Congress 2012Total Replies: 5
Author Content
kennethh

Feb 23, 2012
1:59 AM EDT
I'm the big anti-unity on the desktop kinda guy but this has my head reeling. I think most of us had bigger expectations for arm based pc's but we have really yet to see much going on and now this announcement. Too see the video demonstration really helps to show what unity was destined for in the first place, when folks like myself simply had tunnel vision for the desktop experience.

This announcement is a communication accelerator that will, dare I say, reveal web 3.5.1.0.... ;)

Now: I'm suddenly pro-unity unless canonical decides not to release a public version....
montezuma

Feb 23, 2012
10:36 AM EDT
That certainly does look impressive. I have also been a Unity critic and am using cinnamon but credit where credit is due. This looks like a very useful idea. Let's hope Canonical can pull it off commercially.
jacog

Feb 23, 2012
12:19 PM EDT
I am all for the concept, but still would be better if the "desktop" mode had a more of a desktop-friendly aesthetic. Like how KDE4 can have different modes of operation.
Khamul

Feb 23, 2012
12:37 PM EDT
@jacog: It'd be nice, except that's completely against their philosophy. Just look at the name: "Unity". They (and the Gnome devs) want to make a single UI that everyone uses on all devices, big and small; a useful phrase here is "one size fits all". So if you have to make some sacrifices in functionality to achieve this goal, that's worth it in their mind. Reminds me MS, and even more, Mac, where customizing your UI is completely against the wishes of the designers and not allowed by the software. Years and years ago, Linux used to be all about choice, but not any more these days.
cr

Feb 23, 2012
5:03 PM EDT
Maybe the release name should have been "Pernicious Procrustes"?
Fettoosh

Feb 23, 2012
5:47 PM EDT
Quoting:Like how KDE4 can have different modes of operation.

And especially when the same applications are available for different interfaces along with the underpinning code that is suitable for different hardware configurations at times.

Quoting:Years and years ago, Linux used to be all about choice, but not any more these days.

@Khamul.

We didn't lose that choice, did we? With KDE still around, I don't believe we did.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!