Strange...

Story: Terrible LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Khamul

Feb 23, 2012
12:34 PM EDT
I use KDE4, and I have all those things too: taskbar, window buttons, shutdown button, nice theme and usable software.

Why do people keep trying to make KDE4 out to be like Unity and Gnome3, when it's the polar opposite?
relst

Feb 23, 2012
1:16 PM EDT
I grew up with gnome 2 and xfce. My personal opinion about KDE3 was that it was to windows like, and kde4 just eats my ram, and it makes me click to much.. But it is a wonderfull nice piece of open-source software, just not for me...
Khamul

Feb 23, 2012
1:27 PM EDT
Makes you click too much? In what way?
Fettoosh

Feb 23, 2012
1:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Why do people keep trying to make KDE4 out to be like Unity and Gnome3, when it's the polar opposite?

Because they don't know any better. Some people avoid the smoke of burning incense afraid it might suffocate them until they experience its aroma. :-)

tuxchick

Feb 23, 2012
1:34 PM EDT
I too wonder how much unhappiness with $desktop or $distro would be resolved by spending a little time with it, and actually learning how to use and configure it.
JaseP

Feb 23, 2012
1:48 PM EDT
I'm kinda going back to LinuxMCE for my multimedia network, after having done my own thing for a while. It's built on Kubuntu as a base, and so I've been reintroduced to KDE 4.x. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by it,... Not in a "Wow! I'm gonna switch to that!" kind of way, but it DOES supply me with another option...

That said, it IS a memory hog. But it has its own compositing engine and does have some nice integration features. Configuration is a pain (options broken up in an unnatural way). So I suppose there is some balance between features and resource use. Still, there is room for improvement. But, I'm lead to believe that they aren't planning any radical departures from the current course (Plasma Active is an add-on, side project, not intended to impact the standard KDE desktop).
Fettoosh

Feb 23, 2012
2:43 PM EDT
Quoting: ... and so I've been reintroduced to KDE 4.x ... Configuration is a pain (options broken up in an unnatural way)

I wonder what version of KDE it is based on and whether they use the standard KDE configuration tool.

Quoting:(Plasma Active is an add-on, side project, not intended to impact the standard KDE desktop).

Actually, Plasma Active does impact standard KDE desktop but in a positive way. Many of the bug squashing, performance improvement, and functional enhancements will be backtracked to the desktop since all plasma framework code and libraries are shared by all interfaces.

Khamul

Feb 23, 2012
2:54 PM EDT
@tuxchick: That sounds good at first glance, except that two main $desktops don't allow configuration, as it's against their philosophy. It's kinda like trying to configure a Windows or Mac desktop. It might be possible with third-party tools, but it's certainly not intended and it'll be an ugly hack.
gus3

Feb 23, 2012
5:37 PM EDT
relst wrote:I grew up with gnome 2 and xfce.
Now get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!
relst

Feb 23, 2012
6:01 PM EDT
@gus3 Pardon me :p I still have a sealed box of Caldera Openlinux with the 2.2 kernel next to my desk, but that won't run anymore ;) (I have 5 boxes, including 2 WABI)
gus3

Feb 23, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
I still have my Linux Bible with the Slackware CD from 1997.

Sadly, I can't even get the stuff to boot in a VM now. :(
cr

Feb 23, 2012
10:13 PM EDT
Still running Red Hat 6.2 (2.2 kernel, KDE1.1) on a coupla my (K6) servers. So they're a bit slow -- they also only burn 35 watts apiece.

Oh, and the Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 box is around here somewhere. The box it ran on, a 486... Come to think of it, it's around here somewhere too. Maybe I'll turn it into a print server for the daisy-wheel.
Alcibiades

Feb 24, 2012
4:33 AM EDT
Its not a personal thing. We might find it possible to follow Carla's advice and just adapt to whatever DTE. The problem comes when you have a bunch of people who do not think the function of a computer that you know and like is to have you adapt to it. They are using Gnome 2, they are very comfortable with it, it works exactly as they expect. And now suddenly and for no reason that they can see the whole thing changes.

Its about detail. They have learned how to use the virtual desktop icon to change workspaces. They know how to find stuff in the various Debian menus. They are used to using the little icons in the task bar to get to their commonly used apps. And so on. What they want from their DTE is for it to get out of the way and leave them alone.

The question is what we are to do when the next release wants to take them to Gnome 3? The answer is a bit of work, but with some advance planning, its manageable, and that is to take them all to xfce. I doubt they will notice a whole lot of difference. Its going to have to be done in advance of the next stable version of Debian.

What the Gnome and the KDE teams have forgotten is that it is not about techology, its not about user interfaces, its not about better or worse, its about your user base and how it reacts to things. You have to think about this and take it seriously, and the really important user base is not the Linuxheads like us reading lxer, who you have to think about is some older relative with absolutely no interest in technology. Your mother, grandmother, aunt for instance. If these people cannot just carry on using it out of the box with no real effort and no support, you've screwed up.

Not much looking forward to moving them all to xfce. Totally unecessary work. But there you go, its doable. I think I can just about duplicate the Gnome 2 experience for them, and with any luck most of them will not notice.

It will be like in Chicago, when Vrdolyak was first elected, and people used to refer to him as the new mayor daley. Well, this will be the new gnome....
r_a_trip

Feb 24, 2012
10:53 AM EDT
You have to think about this and take it seriously, and the really important user base is not the Linuxheads like us reading lxer, who you have to think about is some older relative with absolutely no interest in technology.

I'll agree that the latter part is vastly more important, but why do we Linuxheads have to bow to every whim and fancy of wannabe futuristic interface designers?

I'm not averse to change, my current desktop is very different from FVWM-95 back in the day and I'm quite comfortable with that change.

What I'm not comfortable with is change for the sake of change and change that is an uncertain step back from tried and true and (most of all) productive concepts.

If there is a truly beneficial plus in desktop systems like Gnome Shell or Unity, it is pretty well hidden. All I see is an awkward way of working with applications and documents. Undiscoverable keyboard shortcuts, constant viewmode switching, typing in a mouse-driven interface, vast seas of icons and windows.

I know the respective developers are saying it is faster, better, less distracting and the future. I'm simply not buying it. I'm not going to completely relearn my computing ways if I can't see the improvement clearly for myself and I don't hear a convincing explanation from the development teams. I'm only going to expend effort up front if I can be fairly sure it will get me a reasonable ROI.
Fettoosh

Feb 24, 2012
12:55 PM EDT
Quoting:What the Gnome and the KDE teams have forgotten ...

@Alcibiades,

This thread was started with a main question:

"Why do people keep trying to make KDE4 out to be like Unity and Gnome3, when it's the polar opposite?

Your argument doesn't hold water in the case of KDE 4. Yes GNOME team did change the interface drastically and abandoned the classic desktop look and feel, but the KDE team didn't. They simply added new workspaces with functional enhancements and minor changes to the interface. The new KDE 4 still looks and feels the same as the good old KDE 3.5.x interface.

Bob_Robertson

Feb 24, 2012
12:58 PM EDT
> "The new KDE 4 still looks and feels the same as the good old KDE 3.5.x interface."

As much as I would like to have that happen, I've never been able to do that. There must be some settings somewhere that I just can't find, because KDE4 still just repels me.
Fettoosh

Feb 24, 2012
1:08 PM EDT
Quoting:As much as I would like to have that happen ...

@Bob,

First, Welcome back.

I should have added "or could be made to look the same". To do that, either talk to or read @Ridcally's article here on lxer or use/see documentation available on PCLOS. Sorry I no longer have the links.

Bob_Robertson

Feb 24, 2012
2:08 PM EDT
Fettoosh,

Thank you. I appreciate the pointers. At some point it will become a priority, since there are a couple of things that happen with Xfce that just bug me (like mounting vfat devices in such a way that file names are ALL UPPER CASE), such that I give KDE4 a try once in a while.

Not to worry about the links, searching can be a fun exploration all by itself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!