I'm hopeful..but not counting the chickens yet.

Story: VA could give MS Office the bootTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Ridcully

Feb 24, 2012
2:57 AM EDT
Generally speaking, Microsoft "moles" ensure that Australian government offices never, never, NEVER get the chance to use open source software let alone even assess its suitability. That this is actually taking place indicates that at least the fresh breeze of a "seachange" is being detected in government circles, even if the will to implement FOSS is not yet there. I am a veteran in any case, so I will be watching these developments with very keen interest.

At the moment, I'd say all stops will be out by the Redmond stooges to ensure nothing nasty happens to their monopoly.......But, on the other side of the coin, the Australian Federal Government budget is in pretty deep deficit nastiness due to profligate social democratic spending (same-same as Europe, but not so devastating as yet) so the urge to save cash may now be making the bean pushers a little more desperate, and FOSS is certainly a way to save dollars........Interesting times ahead I'd say.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!