"Humor"? Should be "Tutorial"

Story: Go fsck yourselfTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 13, 2012
2:37 PM EDT
Wouldn't telling folks how to force an fsck on a system that doesn't want it be considered a tutorial?

That's what I get for suggesting a story after replacing a HD late at night, AND doing it on the night we lose an hour because the government didn't realize Benjamin Franklin was being SARCASTIC.
caitlyn

Mar 13, 2012
2:45 PM EDT
You mean you don't like Daylight Slavings Time? It was supposed to save energy too, but studies show it really doesn't. Oh, ad yeah, fsck is important, not a joke.
jdixon

Mar 13, 2012
3:38 PM EDT
> It was supposed to save energy too, but studies show it really doesn't.

But that's always been the reason politicians give for messing with it. :(

Yeah, I'd rather see us stay on a single time. Daylight savings time is extremely overrated. It would actually be a lot simpler if businesses would simply keep winter and summer hours.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 13, 2012
4:18 PM EDT
Franklin was poking the French aristocracy for spending so much money on candles, when they partied until after midnight.

See, slip the clocks back 6 hours, and they could still party past "12", but use the sun instead of candles.

Anyway, Caitlyn, daylight savings is a symptom. Coercion is the disease. That people's clocks are being changed coercively is what bugs me, not what the numeric hour is.
gus3

Mar 13, 2012
4:37 PM EDT
"Early to bed and early to rise, Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

"Early to rise and early to bed, Makes a man wealthy, but socially dead."
tracyanne

Mar 13, 2012
6:28 PM EDT
We don't have daylight saving in Queensland, because it will confuse the cows... they won't know when it's time to be milked.
Khamul

Mar 13, 2012
6:29 PM EDT
No DST here in Arizona either. We don't need it; it's always sunny.
tracyanne

Mar 13, 2012
6:32 PM EDT
Oh, I forgot, it fades the curtains too.
BernardSwiss

Mar 13, 2012
7:49 PM EDT
It is "Humor". And "Tutorial" -- great stuff.

What I liked about this post is that it illustrates so well the "attitude" that I associate with being a Linux user:

Computers are essentially a lot more like bicycles than they are like Quantum Physics, and working on them is a lot less like neuro-surgery than it is like fixing a toaster.

-

< rant > But Microsoft, Apple, and the big ISPs have managed to portray all this computer stuff as some sort of High Wizardry, for which they charge surprisingly large amounts to mediate between us and the incomprehensible Spirits of Technology, and provide us with silicon charms to handle them for us ordinary mortals unversed in the esoteric mysteries of modern computers.

It's so bad, that the typical person on the street, in the bar or working in the next cubical doesn't even grasp how ludicrous a patent on "One-Click" shopping is, even though they use computers everyday... < /rant >

Bob_Robertson

Mar 14, 2012
9:26 AM EDT
Thank you, Bernie. High praise indeed. Writing it was fun, I'm glad reading it was fun too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!