Good for Them

Story: Kubuntu 12.04 To Drop KDE Support For FirefoxTotal Replies: 29
Author Content
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
11:59 AM EDT
Why should they have to do the work that Mozilla should be doing?

LibreOffice has KDE integration built in, if Mozilla wants Firefox packaged and available on Kubuntu repositories, they should do the same, or should have their own APT repository.

DrGeoffrey

Mar 17, 2012
12:51 PM EDT
Please enlighten a devout XFCE fan. What is so special about KDE integration? Specific examples would be appreciated.
JaseP

Mar 17, 2012
1:17 PM EDT
I believe that Mozilla uses the gtk framework while KDE is built on the QT framework,...

So, As far as I know, It'll run, but look (and maybe work) like cr@p...
cmost

Mar 17, 2012
1:54 PM EDT
This is a non-issue. I've been using Firefox in KDE for years and it's really no problem whatsoever. If someone is so anal as to object to a GTK application running in their Qt space then that's THEIR problem, not Mozilla's. Mozilla's job is to create a powerful fast web browser, which they've done. Whether or not KDE integrates it is irrelevant, especially since there are a couple of excellent add-on's that do just that. With one of these extensions, Firefox fits right in on any KDE desktop inheriting KDE's theming, icon and color preferences.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
1:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Please enlighten a devout XFCE fan.

Yes, like many other applications that are based on gtk, it will run without any problems. But the difference is in various cosmetic and functional features. i.e. look and feel, styles and features like file management integration. exa. downloading and saving etc.

Quoting: From the article:

This "KDE support" is about using KDE file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers, and other features that up to this point have been better integrated with the KDE desktop.

DrGeoffrey

Mar 17, 2012
2:43 PM EDT
Ahhh, OK. Thx.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 17, 2012
3:47 PM EDT
It's nice to have the look of an app match the rest of the desktop environment, but far from essential.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
4:01 PM EDT
Quoting:It's nice to have the look of an app match the rest of the desktop environment, but far from essential.

So true, but when KDE users see how ugly Firefox is in comparison to Chrome, even though Chrome doesn't integrate every thing, which browser do you think they will prefer? I am guessing it will be Chrome.

DrGeoffrey

Mar 17, 2012
4:06 PM EDT
Firefox, ugly?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
4:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My favorite proverb. And I was referring to Firefox on KDE

tracyanne

Mar 17, 2012
6:03 PM EDT
Quoting:I believe that Mozilla uses the gtk framework while KDE is built on the QT framework,...

So, As far as I know, It'll run, but look (and maybe work) like cr@p...

Take it from me, as someone who has recently moved from a GNOME (2) desktop to KDE 4, it looks and works about the same as it did on the GNOME desktop. I have no complaints.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
6:44 PM EDT
Quoting:it looks and works about the same as it did on the GNOME desktop.

Right now it does because it is still being integrated by K/Ubuntu or Linux-mint. I downloaded and installed from Mozilla site few times to get the latest version and it didn't look good.

Any how, I mostly use Chrome these days. But in my opinion, Firefox 11 seems to be noticeably faster than Chrome and I prefer it for its less intrusiveness.

tracyanne

Mar 17, 2012
6:59 PM EDT
Fettoosh, for some reason the default style (ie the desktop integration) has never worked on any of my desktops, as a consequence i have always , or at least since FF went into the Fast version release cycle, had an non integrated Firefox. The one I'm typing this on has a Windows 7 theme, the other instances of FF on my machine (I'm using "firefox -no-remote -P -ProfileManager" to run seperate instances of FF. have a really ugly look to them, it doesn't worry me. FF works just as fast as it did before.
Koriel

Mar 17, 2012
7:37 PM EDT
Same here, I run XFCE & KDE, Firefox looks exactly the same on both.

Firefox uses my GTK theme under KDE on Linux Mint 12, don't know what all the fuss is about.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
9:34 PM EDT
Quoting:don't know what all the fuss is about.

@Koriel,

The fuss is about what I said in my previous comments and specifically what I will repeat here

Quoting: From the article:

This "KDE support" is about using KDE file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers, and other features that up to this point have been better integrated with the KDE desktop.

I have Chrome & Firefox 11 installed, and I use both. Chrome uses standard KDE file dialog and such, on the other hand, Firefox by default does not. Consequently, I end up with two different file dialogs. I find that to be annoying and I won't use it. Plain and simple.

Jeff91

Mar 18, 2012
1:59 AM EDT
Set GTK to match KDE theme.

Set firefox to use GTK theme.

What is the issue here?

~Jeff
cmost

Mar 18, 2012
9:46 AM EDT
@ Fettoosh

"Consequently, I end up with two different file dialogs. I find that to be annoying and I won't use it. Plain and simple."

Really!?!? That's your big freaking complaint? Get a life dude. Firefox is a great browser and I've been using it on KDE for ages. The GTK file dialog is NO BIG DEAL for anyone with an ounce of common sense. Apparently, that's not you.
Fettoosh

Mar 18, 2012
10:52 AM EDT
Quoting:Really!?!? That's your big freaking complaint? Get a life dude.

Slow down and don't you get freaking on me. I am having a good life thank you very much.

Quoting:Firefox is a great browser and I've been using it on KDE for ages.

I never said it wasn't, on the contrary I said it is faster and I prefer it over Chrome (see my comment above). So don't you insinuate otherwise.

Quoting:The GTK file dialog is NO BIG DEAL for anyone with an ounce of common sense. Apparently, that's not you.

The latest enhancements to Firefox made it a much faster and overall better browser than chrome, yet it is losing popularity to Chrome, Why! because aesthetics are important to people. If Firefox doesn't take that in consideration, they will lose more users.

So why the name calling and personal attacks? Do you need them to make your point? Your opinion would be more appreciated if you could be more mature about the opinions of others.

kikinovak

Mar 18, 2012
3:38 PM EDT
The solution is quite simple: use Qt-Curve. I'm running KDE4 on Debian Squeeze, with a handful of GTK apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission and Pidgin. They're quite easy to integrate with Qt-Curve.

Here's what this all looks like (click on the thumbnails to maximize).

http://www.microlinux.fr/desktop_linux_internet.php

Cheers from the sunny South of France.
Fettoosh

Mar 19, 2012
10:30 AM EDT
Quoting:The solution is quite simple:

Finding a solution isn't the issue for me, but why do users have find a solution for every annoying issue like that.

Besides, a little issue here and a little issue there and we end up with disgruntled users who find Linux with a big issue and not worth using any more.

Fettoosh

Mar 19, 2012
12:07 PM EDT
Here is something to read and explains what I am talking about much better than I could.

Quoting:

PR Expert Andy Marken

Helping technical people step out of their own skin and get people sitting across the table to want, really want, the product -- hardware/software/solution -- is what PR is really all about.

We spend a lot of time with folks saying, "Folks don't really give a crap!" People don't buy an iPad because it has 10 gazillion pixels, it has a floating processor that moves ions around and does self-healing magic. Nope (and forget the Apple fanfolks) it is because it lets me watch my movies, play my games, sexily chat with my friends and underlings. It labels me as one of the cool people in the universe and will even stop bullets for me and drive more women into my bed!

He forgot to add "without a fuss"

Koriel

Mar 19, 2012
1:16 PM EDT
And here is an article I wrote in 2010 covering exactly this topic which also uses QT Curve.

http://www.caledoniacomputers.com/?p=575

Mountain and Molehill are the words that come to mind.

In fact I might update the article to cover the latest version of KDE4 and submit to Lxer if I have the time.
ComputerBob

Mar 19, 2012
7:03 PM EDT
I've been using Firefox every day since the day that FF1.0 was first released.

Back then, I used it on Windows. For the past several years, I've used it on KDE in several different distros and, for the past couple of years, in Debian Xfce. I've never used any browser themes or skins.

I can't say that I ever noticed any difference between how it looked in the different platforms or distros -- nor would I have cared if I had.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 20, 2012
4:11 PM EDT
My current system is the first one on which I've added the GNOME support for OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and while I appreciate the uniformity in the look of the UI, it's all just looks and not related at all to functionality. You add your first KDE app to your GNOME-running system and you've crossed that bridge already.
vainrveenr

Mar 20, 2012
6:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Finding a solution isn't the issue for me, but why do users have find a solution for every annoying issue like that.

Besides, a little issue here and a little issue there and we end up with disgruntled users who find Linux with a big issue and not worth using any more.

Would it be the worst idea to reveal quantifiable statistics regarding those "disgruntled users who find Linux with a big issue and not worth using any more" based upon Firefox's "annoying issue" alone ??

Fettoosh

Mar 20, 2012
7:29 PM EDT
Quoting:Would it be the worst idea to reveal quantifiable statistics ...

I have no verifiable statistics that I can give or point you to, but it is just common sense to me. The Internet is full with so many little issues people looking to find solutions for. If it wasn't for such little problems that laymen don't want to deal with, Linux could have been a lot more popular.

gus3

Mar 20, 2012
8:05 PM EDT
And yet Windoze has so many more little (and big) problems.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't, I guess.
jdixon

Mar 21, 2012
1:17 PM EDT
> If it wasn't for such little problems that laymen don't want to deal with, Linux could have been a lot more popular.

Not really. Most people are willing to take the time to resolve little problems. It's not like Windows doesn't have them, after all.

I'd say that applications and hardware are two much bigger hurdles. Yes, Linux probably has an equivalent application to the one a person is used to, but guess what? They don't want to learn a new application, so it's back to Windows. Yes, Linux supports far more hardware than any individual version of Windows, but if it doesn't support that particular user's esoteric mix of hardware, it's back to Windows.

> Better the devil you know than the devil you don't, I guess.

Pretty much, yes.
ComputerBob

Mar 21, 2012
5:01 PM EDT
Unfortunately, it often turns out to be "Better the devil you know than the angel you don't."
Bob_Robertson

Mar 23, 2012
9:11 AM EDT
> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And they have eleven!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!