Not on 12.04

Story: Cinnamon 1.4 Released: Come With New Settings Applet And Hot Corner BehaviorTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
montezuma

Mar 18, 2012
1:45 PM EDT
The latest beta version of Ubuntu Precise 12.04 breaks Cinnamon.
cmost

Mar 18, 2012
1:51 PM EDT
Of course it does. Why would Canonical want its users to have access to any sort of choice beyond it's onw horrid creation Unity? Personally, I have to wonder why anyone even still uses Ubuntu. Instead of trying to shoehorn Mint's innovations into Ubuntu proper, why not just ditch it and go with Mint all the way?
montezuma

Mar 18, 2012
2:42 PM EDT
No conspiracy here. The new versions of gnome (2.4) and clutter (1.98) break cinnamon so this is not Ubuntu specific. I prefer Ubuntu on some machines for a couple of simple reasons:

1) It is easier to upgrade 2) There is a big team of developers working on it.

With cinnamon on Ubuntu I can get this and a decent desktop. When 12.04 goes final I'm sure cinnamon will shortly after be compatible since Mint has a Ubuntu base.
kikinovak

Mar 19, 2012
2:57 PM EDT
GNOME users remind me of folks buying a car, and then recommending the ignition and steering wheel extensions to fellow drivers.
montezuma

Mar 19, 2012
4:28 PM EDT
You can thank the pig headed gnome and Unity devs for that.

Having said that cinnamon works fine on recent realeases just not the beta one. No big deal.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!