Jeff91

Mar 22, 2012
11:55 AM EDT
Yes.

~Jeff
herzeleid

Mar 22, 2012
3:02 PM EDT
I certainly prefer it at this point in time - but change is the one thing we can rely on, and a snapshot of the current situation should not be confused with some sort of universal and immutable principle. A year from now, we may find that unity has evolved into the best thing since sliced bread.

gus3

Mar 22, 2012
3:42 PM EDT
Don't hold back, Jeff. Tell us how you really feel.
Jeff91

Mar 22, 2012
4:30 PM EDT
Gus3 - the short version of how I feel about Unity:

Any desktop that requires outside software to change advanced (or in Unity's case even simple) configuration options will have no place on my systems.

~Jeff
capn_leaky

Mar 22, 2012
4:36 PM EDT
The only short answer is "it depends".

I just read the article and it prompted me to create an accout to respond. Most of the complaints listed depended on his particular use and hardware. Saying unity and global menus don't make sense on large monitors or multiple monitors may be valid, but it is a non-issue for me on my laptop.

Saying not having the launcher movable is bad may be true for some, but since my laptop is widescreen like all these days, that is where I would put it anyway since my verticle pixels are very valuable.

I still prefer Unity over Gnome shell. I've tried to like KDE but it still doesn't feel right to me (and I first used it way back in the original Mandrake as that was its claim to fame, and many times after). I've tried every other DE and WM and still come back to Unity right now. If it doesn't work for you fine. It's no big deal to change to something else.

But can we please stop with the X is better than Y articles when both are subjective. I've read this site enough to know Jeff will push E and Tracyanne will badmouth Unity and it makes me wonder why I come back because it is tedious and repetitive.
Jeff91

Mar 22, 2012
5:03 PM EDT
I didn't mention Enlightenment at all until now... I simply said I believe KDE is better than Unity because it is more flexible in it's setup/configuration.

Obviously that is a subjective opinion - I mean look at Apple. You can change anything over there and they have LOADs of fans. I'm just not one of them.

~Jeff
ComputerBob

Mar 22, 2012
5:04 PM EDT
Quoting:... it makes me wonder why I come back because it is tedious and repetitive.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to love.
capn_leaky

Mar 22, 2012
5:18 PM EDT
CB That made me laugh. I will keep coming back, it's too much fun.

Jeff - I know you didn't, I was being snarky. I just am tired of people writing so much about what they DON'T like about something. I don't really like E, but I won't say anything bad about it. I also tryit every year or so to see if it (or I) have changed enough to change my opinion.
tracyanne

Mar 22, 2012
5:43 PM EDT
My comment on the original article

Quoting:KDE4 is streets ahead of Unity (and GNOME 3, panel and shell, for that matter. At least after 4.6. I didn't actually attempt to go back to KDE before 4.7.4 actually. I'm currently running 4.8.1.

KDE4 now has all of the functionality that was available to me in KDE3.5.10, which means that KDE workspaces is just as perfect for large hi resolution multi monitor rigs, as it is for single Monitor laptops. While KDE netbook works perfectly on my netbooks, and KDE Plasma looks, and seems to work great on Tablets.

Instead of trying, and failing, as Unity and GNOME 3 shell do, to be all things to all use cases, KDE4 manages to show a UI that fits the use case.
jdixon

Mar 22, 2012
9:09 PM EDT
> ... but since my laptop is widescreen like all these days,

Hmm. Strange, none of mine are.

Oh, you mean all "new" laptops these days. Well, still not fully true, but I'll grant the point.

Of course if I could afford new laptops every few years I'd likely be using a Mac and not Linux.

> ... and it makes me wonder why I come back because it is tedious and repetitive.

The people here do tend to be consistent. Though most people seem to regard that as a virtue, not a fault.

Speaking of KDE, I just spend about an hour last weekend removing KDE4 and qt4 from my Slackware 13.1 system and downloading and installing the version of Trinity for it. I haven't started up the desktop itself as I prefer XFCE, but the apps I've tried seem to run fine.
flufferbeer

Mar 23, 2012
8:03 AM EDT
+1 jdixon

Good points!

I still prefer XFCE and LXDE over KDE, Gnome shell and (of course) vastly over Unity. I've tried to like Gnome shell but it still doesn't feel right to me (and I first used it way back in one of the original untainted Ubuntu's, and many times after). I refuse to yield to the Ubuntu fanbois who keep overmentioning Unity, however so subtly they do it. I've tried almost every other DE and WM and still come back to XFCE and LXDE right now. If it doesn't work for you fine. It's no big deal to change to something else.

But can we please DO continue with the X is better than Y articles when honest and thorough revelations of each of their benefits and deficiencies are discussed, and can only BENEFIT everyone. I've read this site enough to know Jeff will push Enlightenment and capn_leaky will subtly promote Unity and it makes me glad that I and others can come back to review productive discussion on DE's and WM's for the rest of us.

2c
caitlyn

Mar 23, 2012
5:59 PM EDT
My long answer: Yes.
gus3

Mar 23, 2012
9:54 PM EDT
My longer answer:

(would probably get me banned)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!