I did that survey

Story: Revealed: 75 Percent of Ubuntu Users Also Use Windows OSTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 29, 2012
6:22 PM EDT
Which makes me one of the less than 4% women. I also commented that the survey didn't go far enough in gathering information. I had stated that i no longer use Ubuntu.

Additionally while I stated that I would buy an Ubuntu powered device, I was unable to state why. I would do so because I could buy a device that is capable of running any other Linux OS.
BernardSwiss

Mar 29, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
60+% of people using Ubuntu, use Windows at work ### 60+% of people using Ubuntu, also play Crysis or similar Windows-only games ### 60+% of people using Ubuntu, use Tax software (Windows-only) about this time of year. ### 60+% of people using Ubuntu, also use Netflicks (Linux-excluding) online ### 60+% of people using Ubuntu, also use iTunes ### 60+% of people using Ubuntu, use DRM-infested Linux-excluding software (eg certain ereader software) and the like ### etc.

These categories do of course overlap considerably, leading to the aforementioned 75%

The question is -- does this survey actually tell us anything? (*)

(*) That we didn't already know, anyways -- like relatively new Linux-users may not be terribly concerned about or even have yet to properly appreciate just how much proprietary software shapes and controls their technology choices and behaviours

tracyanne

Mar 29, 2012
10:09 PM EDT
I'm in the 25% that never use anything Windows or Mac. Well as of the end of January. But then I don't use Ubuntu anymore either.
gus3

Mar 29, 2012
10:36 PM EDT
tracyanne wrote:But then I don't use Ubuntu anymore either.
So you've switched to Linux?
BernardSwiss

Mar 29, 2012
11:12 PM EDT
When you help family and friends fix their Windows computers, does it count as "using Windows"?
tracyanne

Mar 30, 2012
12:19 AM EDT
@gus3, yes.. I finally got a clue.
nikkels

Mar 30, 2012
3:42 AM EDT
>>>>>>When you help family and friends fix their Windows computers, does it count as "using Windows"?

>>>When a windows user uses google all day, does it count as using Linux ?
Khamul

Mar 30, 2012
12:42 PM EDT
Quoting:60+% of people using Ubuntu, also use Netflicks (Linux-excluding) online

Actually, I use Linux (Kubuntu currently, though I'm probably going to switch over to Mint on my desktop machine soon; I'm already running it on my laptop), and I also use Netflix. However, I don't use Windows to use Netflix, I'm pretty sure I'm using Linux to do so: I use my Blu-Ray player to watch Netflix movies, and while I haven't verified it, it, like tons of media devices these days, most likely runs Linux internally.

Quoting:60+% of people using Ubuntu, also use iTunes

Not me any more. I finally convinced my wife to dump her iPhone (3G) and get an Android phone like mine, and she loves it. I love it too, since now I no longer need to mess around with the horrible, horrible iTunes application (which of course only runs on Windows) to do every little thing, like transfer photos off the device, or update its firmware. With Android, I can download the firmware directly to the device from the carrier, and it installs it by itself, no PC needed. And transferring photos, videos, and music is easy, I just plug it into a USB port, select "Mount as disk drive", and then I can just copy the files directly since Android doesn't do the idiotic stuff with files like iOS does where you have to transfer them with iTunes or else screw up its internal database.

Like almost all surveys, this one sounds like it doesn't ask nearly enough questions, so its results will be pretty much worthless. If it's making the assumption that Linux or Ubuntu users only have or use one computing device, that makes the results worthless and wrong, since almost no one these days is confined to one device, especially with having to use work computers where you have no choice about what OS it runs.
ComputerBob

Mar 31, 2012
12:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Which makes me one of the less than 4% women.
Quoting:I'm in the 25% that never use anything Windows or Mac.
I'm in the 99.999999999999% that didn't take that survey.
DrGeoffrey

Mar 31, 2012
2:48 PM EDT
Warning! Unrestrained opinion ahead.

FWIW, I viewed the survey, and quickly concluded they were only interested in responses that validated their preconceptions, not actual feedback. And since I had some meaningless trivial business to attend to that was far more important, I closed the page.

But, please, don't let my opinion intrude on Canonical's 'thought' processes. Microsoft needs someone to accompany them off the cliff of irrelevancy.
helios

Apr 01, 2012
12:41 AM EDT
Khamul...I found a great tool for transfering/synching files between the android and your pc and it's all wireless. Check out airdroid. I friggin' love this app.

http://www.airdroid.com/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!