That can't be right!

Story: Munich's mayor claims EUR 4M savings from Linux switchTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Mar 30, 2012
2:33 AM EDT
All the Windows people keep pointing out how the Munich LiMux project was [sic] such a huge, text-book, Linux-migration failure.

Hundreds of millions of Windows proponents (not to mention all those Windows-reliant IT mega-corps) can't possibly all be wrong!
mbaehrlxer

Mar 30, 2012
2:50 AM EDT
of course they are right.

have some compassion.

the cost of pain and suffering, and the psychological damage... think of all the counseling hours. they are not covered by insurance. and shrinks are expensive. not to mention the constant nagging feeling that something is different, but you can't quite tell what it is. or simply the thought of using the wrong OS, and the feeling of loss and separation, of betrayal in what you believe in.

i can totally understand them. i know that feeling, i feel the same every time i am forced to use non-free software...

greetings, eMBee.
helios

Mar 30, 2012
3:48 AM EDT
Speaking of "the pain" inflicted on a Windows drone when forced to use Linux in the workplace.....

I am friends with the IT boss for a successful PR firm here in Austin and she told me of a guy that had an absolute meltdown over their complete migration to Linux and FOSS. When his demands to keep Windows on his computer failed, he made a loud and public show of his "resignation"....in front of about 60 people in proximity.

His application for unemployment was recently denied because he quit his job without legitimate reason. Now he is going to arbitration/court to argue that he was put into a situation of undue stress...that it had cost him hours of depression and that he can no longer sleep.

This should hit the local fish wrap I am thinking so I will keep it posted if it does. It ought to be worth a giggle or two at the least.

Friggin' putz.
mbaehrlxer

Mar 30, 2012
4:23 AM EDT
hah, reality is still better than the best made up comedy. helios, you just made my day!

greetings, eMBee.
henke54

Mar 30, 2012
7:55 AM EDT
@helios; was it maybe this 'angry' man ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN37Fn3Hw8E ;-)
JaseP

Mar 30, 2012
8:47 AM EDT
Our IT guy who comes in to fix our work machine said that he loved Windows ... It's kept him in a job for 17 years,... Fixing it, that is. And that's pretty much the deal with it for workstations. Management doesn't know but from Windows on the average person's machine, but it's Linux in the data center, for reliability.
jdixon

Mar 30, 2012
9:03 AM EDT
> It's kept him in a job for 17 years

Pretty much the case here, yes. I'd rather work supporting Linux, but...
Khamul

Mar 30, 2012
3:00 PM EDT
@helios: I wonder how that guy would have reacted had they stuck with Windows, and then migrated to Windows 8 (with the Metro UI) when it comes out.
tracyanne

Mar 30, 2012
6:46 PM EDT
@Khamul, he would have complained for a while, but because it's Windows, made a serious effort to adapt.
Khamul

Mar 30, 2012
7:08 PM EDT
@tracyanne: I was about to make a comparison with (USA) politics, but unfortunately that's against the TOS so I better not.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!