Bottom Line: Don't quit your day job.

Story: Luke Duke, a short but necessary article.Total Replies: 3
Author Content
RichardLinx

Apr 05, 2012
12:01 PM EDT
This barely doesn't pass off as a charity case. Making a living online is a lucrative business and an ideal for many, but if the loss of two weeks of appstore revenue is so detrimental to the point that a man will struggle to feed his family, then he should reconsider his work ethic. Four dollars for a game that looks like a novice coders school assignment is nothing short of embarrassing. I think you're doing the man a disservice in writing and submitting such an article to Lxer.
patrickjmquinn

Apr 05, 2012
2:22 PM EDT
The game has drawn a lot of attention on various Linux and technology blogs so the game is not in question here, its my way to A support Linux game developers in need and B my attempt to give apple a small boot up the hole. I noted that he was foolish in relying on the app store for his revenue and from this article a lot of would be app developer will become aware of the dangers of doing so. I think you're doing yourself a disservice in writing and submitting such a negative comment.
RichardLinx

Apr 05, 2012
3:01 PM EDT
Drawing lots of attention doesn't equate to something being good. Daikatana drew a lot of attention and was absolute sh*t. I've seen mention of this game on multiple websites and the comments don't read with much fanfare. (http://boingboing.net/2012/04/04/linux-tycoon-game-simulates...)

Quoting:I've bought the game, and sadly (while I had high hopes for it) it proves to be rather minimalistic and boring. Instead of the experience of building a distro from a very small thing to a robust thing I was hoping for, there's two counters that matter: "Bugs" (try to keep it down) and "Workers" (try to raise both Volunteers and Paid). And that's it.

I recommend saving your $4 for the next Humble Indie Bundle, instead.

Sure, you can argue that it's still in beta, but it just looks like shameless shovelware to me. I think this is a product of desperation from financial stress, and ultimately will be a blight on the developers reputation.
patrickjmquinn

Apr 05, 2012
3:22 PM EDT
I actually have not bought it yet, its possibly cr@p and i wouldn't have written the article / promoted the game if apple had handled the situation properly.

I think we will both agree that Humble Indie Bundle (which i have purchased) is awesome.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!