No sympathy here

Story: Interview With Incarcerated NASA Hacker Jeremey ParkerTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Khamul

Apr 05, 2012
4:28 PM EDT
If he had to steal money like this, why couldn't he do it from someone more deserving, like the RIAA or MPAA? Or break into CIA servers and disseminate their secrets? NASA's the one US government agency that actually does mostly good work.
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2012
9:23 AM EDT
Gosh. What an ethical outlook:

Shame on you for stealing from people I like.

Thieves are thieves. They steal for their own purposes and they steal where they can.
tuxchick

Apr 07, 2012
12:29 PM EDT
I'm with Khamul. If you're going to be a thief then steal from other thieves, plz.
Khamul

Apr 08, 2012
7:27 PM EDT
@dinotrac: You like the RIAA? The people who steal from the artists and con them into evil contracts, leaving most of them penniless even after having #1 hits?
dinotrac

Apr 08, 2012
8:32 PM EDT
@khamul --

You misread what I wrote, but that's my fault. It would have been more clear had I used quote marks to make clear that I was attributing the sentiment to you, ie --

"Shame you for stealing from people I like."

Thieves are thieves, even when they're stealing from the bad guys.
Khamul

Apr 08, 2012
10:36 PM EDT
oh, sorry about that. I'm not saying I like thieves or anything, just that some thieves are worse than others; it's not all black-and-white. To me, someone who steals bread to eat isn't really bad at all, unlike someone who steals from millions out of pure greed. Between those two extremes, while I don't condone thievery, I'm not going to get very angry about someone who steals from another thief, especially when that thief operates at a much larger scale, defrauding countless people out of huge sums of money; it just seems like a good instance of karma to me.
dinotrac

Apr 08, 2012
11:01 PM EDT
@khamul --

Had he stolen from RIAA (which he didn't), I certainly would have smiled, said "Couldn't happen to a more deserving crew" and condemned the thief. After all, his next target could be, well, NASA.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2012
3:53 PM EDT
Funded by theft, gets robbed. Crocodile tears.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!