Marketing rules. Quality means nothing.

Story: 7 Mobile Operating Systems You Might Never UseTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 07, 2012
2:10 PM EDT
Some of the "never use" platforms are better than Android, IMNSHO. Unfortunately, as always, marketing and mind share rule and quality really doesn't matter.
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2012
2:20 PM EDT
I agree with the author that WebOS is awesome.

HP deserved all of the "moron of the year" awards it earned for ditching the platform.
lcafiero

Apr 07, 2012
3:23 PM EDT
Agree with you 100 percent dino -- WebOS is pretty decent, and HP really earned all the criticism it got (and gets) for dumping it.
helios

Apr 08, 2012
7:00 AM EDT
My youngest had a palm pre and was showing me around her phone one day, and it was runing WebOS. I was impressed with the both its logic and speed. But then life happened. WebOS was deemed terminal. Unity was Kinged in absentia and further accusations of steroid use in baseball became illegal without signed and sealed testimony to the contrary.

In the long run, I'm not sure HP couldn't do more for Desktop Linux than Google can (could).
dinotrac

Apr 08, 2012
9:03 AM EDT
@Ken --

Never mind how nice it is to see your ornery self around these parts, but I agree that steroid use at HP could ruin blogging a baseball game from your Touchpad.
helios

Apr 09, 2012
1:01 PM EDT
Thanks dino....my point 'xactly. Glad someone snapped it off.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2012
3:52 PM EDT
HP lost me as a customer when their laptop BIOS refused to recognize an Atheros wifi card to replace the Broadcom POS that came with it.

Khamul

Apr 09, 2012
4:58 PM EDT
@Bob: I'm sorry, I'm a little confused: why does the BIOS need to recognize a WiFi card at all? Isn't that solely an OS issue? As long as your OS has the right driver, what's the problem?
caitlyn

Apr 09, 2012
7:15 PM EDT
Same questions as @Khamul. BTW, the Broadcom 4312 chipset in my HP Mini 110 netbook has the best range of any wifi card/chip I've used. I see the whole neighborhood's wifi when I look at wicd. LOL. Considering that Broadcom has open sourced the driver and permitted distros to package the firmware at will I no longer object to their chips at all. Mine works very well and does so out of the virtual box on most recent distro releases.
jdixon

Apr 09, 2012
8:55 PM EDT
> ...why does the BIOS need to recognize a WiFi card at all?

He documented the entire story either in a blog post or a thread here. Perhaps both.

As to why, you'd have to ask HP. No one else on earth has a clue.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!