That's big-hearted of them.....

Story: Kubuntu Gets New Backer, Parting Ways With CanonicalTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
helios

Apr 11, 2012
8:59 AM EDT
Ubuntu's Technical Board decided just last week that Kubuntu could be sponsored externally as far as they are concerned.

As opposed to what...? Dropping support for Kubuntu then laying down a mandate that no outside influences could sponsor them? It warms me to the deepest parts of my soul to see them make such a magnanimous gesture.

I hope the best for this startup and I am personally excited to see what direction Kubuntu will take. I was surprised to see that this same startup has been sponsoring the KDE version of Linux Mint as well. As I am toying with the idea of taking a hard second look at KDE, this gives me other options other than OpenSuse to look at. From what I can read, historically, Suse has always had the best implementation of KDE. Maybe now, that will not remain to be the case.
Fettoosh

Apr 11, 2012
10:44 AM EDT
I have been using Kubuntu for a while now and mostly pretty much like it the way it is.

- One thing I would be pleased to see is Kubuntu adopt Debian as its base instead of Ubuntu. Never know what Canonical is going up to.

- Chakra developers to join resources with Kubuntu to create a complete "Just-works" Distro

- Establish closer coordination with KDE for better QA & support and synchronize their release cycles

- Establish a business driven group to generate revenue by furnishing support & consulting services for businesses, governments and even some end users.

- Maintain deliverable Distros for multiple platforms for Desktops, Netbooks, Tablets, Smart Phones, & various hand held devices in general.

It would be nice to know a little more about Blue Systems. Anyone has more detailed info.?

tuxchick

Apr 11, 2012
11:10 AM EDT
LOL Ken, I had the same reaction. Because Canonical doesn't protect the *buntu name, so there isn't even a trademark issue. I suppose they could get huffy and say "get off our servers."

Fettoosh, then it wouldn't be Kubuntu anymore! It would need a new name. Like KarlaDE. Yeah, that is a very good name.
Fettoosh

Apr 11, 2012
11:25 AM EDT
Quoting:Like KarlaDE. Yeah, that is a very good name.

hay, KarlaDe! sounds real nice and fitting too, I like it.

caitlyn

Apr 11, 2012
4:49 PM EDT
...and if a MATÉ spinoff of Ubuntu emerges it probably won't be called Mubuntu (pronounced Moo-buntu)...
Khamul

Apr 11, 2012
9:36 PM EDT
Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the point of this one organization sponsoring two, nearly-identical KDE distros, both based on Ubuntu (itself based on Debian)? Since Canonical obviously doesn't like KDE very much, wouldn't it make more sense to just drop Kubuntu altogether and encourage all its users to switch to Mint KDE, and not waste resources maintaining two separate (but nearly identical) distros? Ubuntu doesn't deserve the name recognition given by the name "Kubuntu" anyway, since they obviously have no interest in KDE or Kubuntu (I think this agrees with Fettoosh's point #1).

As for the rest of Fettoosh's ideas, I agree completely.
gus3

Apr 11, 2012
9:42 PM EDT
@Khamul, bringing both KDE-based Ubuntu-derived distros under one aegis could facilitate a lot of cross-pollination, making both projects better, more quickly.

At least, that's the first thing I could think of.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!