I thought openSUSE was a KDE distro

Story: openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 3 Has GNOME 3.4Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Khamul

Apr 14, 2012
4:12 PM EDT
Why are they supporting this abomination of a UI, and wasting valuable resources on it?
caitlyn

Apr 14, 2012
4:21 PM EDT
openSUSE has always supported both GNOME and KDE. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it should be abandoned.
Khamul

Apr 15, 2012
12:16 PM EDT
I don't see many seasoned Linux users who care for Gnome3.
Fettoosh

Apr 15, 2012
1:24 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't see many seasoned Linux users who care for Gnome3.

The seasoned Linux users are just a small number compared to the whole. Consequently, democratically speaking, they don't get to decide for everyone else. :-)

Khamul

Apr 15, 2012
9:42 PM EDT
The seasoned users are a small number? Really? If we were talking about Windows or Mac users, I'd certainly agree with that. With Linux however, I don't believe that to be the case. People generally use Linux because they like really like Linux, and are willing to put up with the deficiencies (lack of commercial software, extremely problematic video drivers, doesn't always "just work", etc.). It's not like there's a bunch of newbies out there buying Dells preloaded with Ubuntu. For a short time, we did have some newbies buying netbooks preloaded with Linux, but MS shut that down quickly (and now netbooks are pretty much extinct). You don't go out and buy a PC with Linux; you download it from the internet, because you're technically skilled and knowledgeable, which makes you "seasoned".
Ridcully

Apr 15, 2012
9:52 PM EDT
I agree with caitlyn....SuSE/openSUSE has a tradition of supporting several DE's including Xfce. KDE is its central DE, but Gnome has always been there too. I never use Gnome myself, but I'll go to the wall before I will prevent anyone else from using it, even in its latest format - and apparently some actually do like what Gnome has become.
caitlyn

Apr 15, 2012
10:33 PM EDT
Netbooks extinct? Better tell that to the people at Wal Mart, CompUSA, Best Buy... Heck, even K Mart is selling netbooks. Just because they aren't the hot new fad anymore doesn't mean netbooks are extinct or likely to be anytime soon. That form factor has been around since 1995 and isn't going anywhere.
Khamul

Apr 15, 2012
10:44 PM EDT
@Ridcully: I never said anyone should be prevented from using Gnome3, but there's no shortage of distros that support it prominently for those who want it.

@caitlyn: The netbook came out in 2007, not 1995, starting with the ASUS Eee PC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook#History The sub-notebooks of the late 90s didn't have network ports or wifi; pretty hard to be a "netbook" without the ability to connect to a network, especially a wireless one.
Ridcully

Apr 16, 2012
4:10 AM EDT
@Khamul......sorry, I did not intend you to interpret it as a *personal* shot across your bows. I was talking about "me, myself, my own person and my attitudes" and the fact that I personally would never prevent anyone from using Gnome. If you really want to know, I can't stand that particular DE.....but I fully support the choice of others to use it, if that is what they want. And I'd assume that is your stance too - although you may have a different liking for it than I do........Hope that is enough "balm out of Gilead".
caitlyn

Apr 16, 2012
2:00 PM EDT
@Khamul: Wrong again. "Netbook" is a marketing term. My 1995 Toshiba Libretto 20CT had an ethernet port. There was no wireless at the time. The 2002 Toshiba Libretto L5 had built in wireless as did the 2005 Toshiba Libretto U100 and U105. These machines look like netbooks and function like netbooks. The only difference is the name marketoids assigned to them. The were not fundamentally different than what ASUS and Acer would subsequently do with netbooks.
slacker_mike

Apr 16, 2012
5:41 PM EDT
@Khamul, if I recall correctly GNOME was the default desktop for SLED. I believe openSUSE has been a strong supporter of GNOME in general and has served as the demo live CD for all the GNOME 3 releases.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!