The Oracle of Oracle

Story: Larry Ellison knocks Oracle's Linux strategyTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
montezuma

Apr 19, 2012
8:32 AM EDT
I just love the way the press hang on and over interpret every word of "celebrity" CEOs like Ellison.

I mean the guy is a CEO. His job is to maximise profit for Oracle. His words just reflect that reality. The trial discussed has the aim (from Ellison's viewpoint) of extracting (I use the polite word here) money from Google. So his words are used to that end. The reality of the server market is Red Hat Linux so to be a player there Ellison does what it takes i.e. copies Red Hat and offers a lower price.

To expect intellectual honesty from a CEO is naive.
Koriel

Apr 20, 2012
9:54 AM EDT
To expect honesty from a CEO is naive.

There, I fixed it.
gus3

Apr 20, 2012
4:57 PM EDT
To expect honesty from a hacker...

To expect honesty from a teenager...

To expect honesty from a woman...

Just because you've never encountered an honest _____ doesn't mean they don't exist.
Ridcully

Apr 20, 2012
5:05 PM EDT
A list of oxymorons gus3 ? But I disagree with you on women....I find them just as honest as men - sometimes more so when we mere males are honest enough to admit it.
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2012
9:01 PM EDT
A CEO isn't just some obnoxious fat cat like Ellison. Little family businesses have CEOs too, like ZaReason and System76. Ellison is in an elite class, and it's one that real humans don't want to be part of.
gus3

Apr 20, 2012
9:09 PM EDT
@Ridcully, no, just pointing out the hasty generalization in Koriel's comment.
tracyanne

Apr 20, 2012
9:44 PM EDT
@montezuma, common now, you've got to admit that it is amusing when someone accidentally disses the very same strategy they pursuing..
Koriel

Apr 20, 2012
9:45 PM EDT
@gus3

Nothing hasty about it, it took 20 years of experience to reach that conclusion, either that or I have been exceptionally unlucky in my employer choices, obviously your mileage may vary, and is just one of the reasons i'm now a contractor.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!