If you really want MATE or Gnome 2...

Story: How to Install MATE Desktop in Ubuntu 12.04/Ubuntu 11.10Total Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 26, 2012
5:11 PM EDT
If you really want MATE or Gnome 2 why not run a distro that supports one or the other rather than trying to stuff it into Ubuntu? Linux Mint and SalixOS both have MATE and more distros will be following suit. The Red Hat free clones: CentOS, Scientific Linux and PUIAS Linux, all have GNOME 2 and are still supporting it.
cmost

Apr 26, 2012
8:17 PM EDT
I agree. But you know, many people are still operating under the misconception that Ubuntu = Linux, or worse, that Ubuntu is still relevant anymore. In my opinion, Linux Mint is the true flag bearer of Linux as it demonstrates by its actions that Linux is all about choice. With Linux Mint you can choose Ubuntu or Debian base; Gnome 3, Cinnamon, or Mate. Of course all the other desktops such as KDE, XFCE and LDXE are available too via variant installation media. The Canonical media machine can churn all it wants but it's tired formula for garnering attention as the so called darling of the tech community has become impotent and users have seen Ubuntu for what it really is...just another Mac wannabe.
vainrveenr

Apr 27, 2012
2:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I agree. But you know, many people are still operating under the misconception that Ubuntu = Linux, or worse, that Ubuntu is still relevant anymore. In my opinion, Linux Mint is the true flag bearer of Linux as it demonstrates by its actions that Linux is all about choice. With Linux Mint you can choose Ubuntu or Debian base; Gnome 3, Cinnamon, or Mate. Of course all the other desktops such as KDE, XFCE and LDXE are available too via variant installation media. The Canonical media machine can churn all it wants but it's tired formula for garnering attention as the so called darling of the tech community has become impotent and users have seen Ubuntu for what it really is...just another Mac wannabe.

WRT "the misconception that Ubuntu = Linux", also see last month's piece 'Ubuntu: “We’re not Linux”', linked to at LXer via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/164487

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!