methinks thou dost promote too much

Story: Ubuntu 12.04: Still Alive, Still KickingTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
paulhubert

Apr 30, 2012
1:10 PM EDT
Why is it we see so many articles telling us how great Unity is?

An interface clearly NOT designed for desktops - particularly dual-screen desktops - is here ONLY because the focus now is on small devices.

ALL I ever use a keyboard for is TEXT and an occasional Ctrl-A - Ctrl-C Ctrl-V

NOTHING else. NO shortcuts. NO menus. This is what the MOUSE is for.

And I never use my 'smart' phone (android) for anything more complex than briefly (and rarely) checking email arrivals after the PC is shut down or (primarily) to access my calendar when having to make appointments in a medical or dental office.

NO texting except to annoy my wife! :-) - and I've installed LastPass to get around the annoying need to login for my Google calendar!

I'm mulling moving to Mint or Kubuntu - but Unity looks less and less appealing every time anyone takes the time to once more extol its 'features'.

Is the "Classic" interface still available under 12.04?

This is almost making me long for Windows XP and THAT is a horrid thought!
Jeff91

Apr 30, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
Try LXDE/XFCE/KDE/E17 before rolling back to WinXP...

~Jeff
caitlyn

Apr 30, 2012
3:51 PM EDT
What Jeff said. Xfce can be configured to look a lot like XP if that is what you really want. KDE 4.8.x has really gotten to be a very nicely designed and solid desktop and performance has improved from earlier versions.
tracyanne

Apr 30, 2012
5:51 PM EDT
ditto caitlyn and Jeff
BernardSwiss

Apr 30, 2012
8:08 PM EDT
Well, apparently there is some good news:

They got rid of Tomboy

They got rid of Banshee

They got rid of Mono !!!!!!...1111

And I think switching to Rythmbox is good too (I thought they'd already done that, but I guess I must have done it myself. Perhaps Alzheimer's shadow is looming over my future...
mbaehrlxer

Apr 30, 2012
11:04 PM EDT
BernardSwiss: that's interesting. do you have some references?

greetings, eMBee.
tracyanne

Apr 30, 2012
11:22 PM EDT
Mono removed as a required dependency is good. That means the latest available stable version of Mono/MonoDevelop can be installed, and kept updated.
BernardSwiss

Apr 30, 2012
11:38 PM EDT
@mbaehrlxer:

-- from the article, 2nd paragraph.
flufferbeer

May 01, 2012
12:36 AM EDT
@paulhubert,

> Why is it we see so many articles telling us how great Unity is?

Maybe 'cause lots of people are promoting LUnity for all the mobile stuff that's come out recently? Even today, there was a big deal made between the notorious Macro$ucks and Barnes & Noble regarding the small device, the Crook (oh, I meant the Nook). For all those people who want nothing to do with LUnity on desktops, there are also a slew of articles how to replace this with desktops such as what Jeff91 & caitlyn suggest above.

2c
tracyanne

May 01, 2012
5:05 AM EDT
I DOn't like KUbuntu 12.04.

I've beenn testing it, and I can't find MonoDevelop. Every other Mono development tool is ther and installs, but I can't find MonoDevelop, it simply isn't available in the packages.

sudo apt-get install monodevelop

will not install it

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install monodevelop Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: Unable to locate package monodevelop
tracyanne

May 01, 2012
5:17 AM EDT
Well that's strange. Just after i posted the above I installed Mono-Complete. Still no monoDevelop in the list of install files, but I typed monodevelop into the CLI, as expected the application failed to run and the message suggesting use

sudo apt-get install monodevelop

to install it once again appeared, so once again i typed the above, and this time, for no reson i can discover, it suddenly started installed monodevelop and all it's UI dependencies.

Now I have monodevelop.

So now I don't hate kubuntu 12.04
tracyanne

May 01, 2012
5:22 AM EDT
Saw this in the mono documentation.

Quoting:Mono currently only supports the X86, PowerPC, ARM, SPARC, S/390, AMD64 and IA64 architectures.

which is quite interesting as .NET only supports X86, ARM (maybe) and AMD64, provided the operating system is Windows.
tracyanne

May 01, 2012
5:25 AM EDT
Interesting the Muon Package Manger, still doesn't list monodevelop, even though it is now installed, which may mean the issue is muon.

And.....

Yes it is, I installed synaptic (it too does not show get listed by muon, so I installed it with sudo apt-get install synaptic. When I run synaptic all the missing packages get listed.
mbaehrlxer

May 01, 2012
11:56 AM EDT
BernardSwiss: oh, duh, for some reason i thought you were quoting another source. no idea why i didn't think to search the article itself for that...

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

May 01, 2012
12:04 PM EDT
@mbaehrlxer:

I've been known to be equally... ummm... discerning :-P on occasion, myself.
tracyanne

May 01, 2012
5:33 PM EDT
And tracyanne sits in a corner mumbling to herself.
tracyanne

May 04, 2012
4:47 AM EDT
I installed Kubuntu 12.04 today. It was a miserable failure.

Everything looked fine while running from the USB key. Simply it just worked, it looked sweet. So I installed it on the hardware, and rebooted. Neither my keyboard nor mouse were recognised, the drivers simply failed to load.
Khamul

May 04, 2012
1:30 PM EDT
@ta: Try the new Linux Mint KDE 12. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe that'll work better. It looks like the Mint people have more interest in supporting their KDE distro than the Ubuntu people have in supporting theirs.
DrGeoffrey

May 04, 2012
3:00 PM EDT
As long as we're plugging favorites, you might also want to consider Sabayon KDE. Once I installed from a Sabayon KDE usb and let it also re-install grub2, I've become fairly impressed with KDE.

Of course, why I would need all those bells and whistles escapes me. Particularly given that (1) XFCE works well with presentations on a separate display, and (2) early indications suggest KDE may be a bit of a power hog (battery life is important to me). But, I see no reason to expect these issues cannot be resolved. And once resolved, the choice (for me) between XFCE and KDE becomes strictly personal preference.
Khamul

May 04, 2012
3:40 PM EDT
paulhubert wrote:ALL I ever use a keyboard for is TEXT and an occasional Ctrl-A - Ctrl-C Ctrl-V NOTHING else. NO shortcuts. NO menus. This is what the MOUSE is for.

I think keyboard shortcuts are fine; they can speed things up for people who bother to learn them. However, requiring them, especially for basic operations such as turning off the PC, is extremely idiotic.
DrGeoffrey

May 04, 2012
3:48 PM EDT
A follow up.

I was a little put off at the prospect of Sabayon, being a Gentoo derivative. But, unlike Gentoo it does not require you to compile everything. Also, Sabayon is a rolling release that does NOT have a habit of breaking things (a clear difference from my experience with LMDE).

The result? Since adopted (September/October 2011) I've had just one minor issue (one update to LibreOffice was premature, resulting in an inability to access password protected files for a couple of weeks around Christmas). For this reason I recommend having a second distribution on your hard-drive. A fail-safe, if you will, that you can boot to if necessary.

So far I've only needed that fail-safe once. And holding this one issue aside, I've had Sabayon running for longer than a month (multiple times), with each interval characterized by daily multiple suspends, and at least one daily hibernate.

All in all, I like the Debian tree, a lot. But none of the Debian derivatives I've tried has matched Sabayon for stability.
tracyanne

May 04, 2012
5:30 PM EDT
Quoting:@ta: Try the new Linux Mint KDE 12. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe that'll work better.

I'm alteady using LM12, it's great. I wanted to try Kubuntu 12.04, as I intend to upgrade to LM13 as soon as it's available, and probably stay on it for the next 5 years.

Kubuntu 12.04 didn't instill a great deal of confidence, I hope Clement gets whatever issues is causing that fixed.
albinard

May 04, 2012
11:35 PM EDT
I really don't know why I've never come to agreeable terms with KDE, especially since my current favorite is Xubuntu with Compiz added (11.10 on one machine, 12.04 on another). I guess it appeals to me as a rather simple, straightforward working distro with a whole s**tload of eye candy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!