Good story.

Story: How Long is a Piece of String?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 08, 2012
3:24 PM EDT
And well told.

I was a subscriber to Home Power magazine for several years, to which you might consider submitting this story. Just make sure to put in the brands and purchase prices of the various battery/panel/inverter bits of hardware, as that is the kind of audience HomePowerMag caters to.
gus3

May 08, 2012
3:38 PM EDT
Thank you, Dr. Young! And thanks also to our faithful editor Scott, for posting it.

The relation to Linux may be "oblique," but the large-as-life display of maker culture is exactly why I wanted to see something like this.

Getting something to work, the way you want...

Using what you have, what you can get, and what you can build...

Without settling for second-best, "one size fits everyone who matters" from someone else...

Someone stop me. I'm waxing rhapsodic, and I may soon melt from the glow. ;-)
dinotrac

May 08, 2012
4:12 PM EDT
Relation to Linux?

There should be no question whatsoever:

Linux is a child of free software which is the spawn of freedom itself.

Freedom from price-gouging monopolist power companies seems to fall right in line with that, as is the can-do, what-can-I-do spirit that goes right along with it.

tracyanne

May 08, 2012
6:35 PM EDT
I remember putting this on the approved que last week, then it disappeared, and wasn't on the posted list, now it suddenly turns up out of the blue.
Ridcully

May 08, 2012
6:56 PM EDT
Yes...and there may be an accidental "glitch" because a summary and conclusion section is missing from where the presently posted article ends. It will be of value for anyone looking at costs etc. in today's terms and also summarises how I feel our system has turned out.
tuxchick

May 08, 2012
7:01 PM EDT
Great story, thanks!
caitlyn

May 08, 2012
7:09 PM EDT
@Ridcully: I did notice that the article seems to end abruptly. Is there any chance the conclusion can be added so that we can read it? Otherwise, yes, an excellent story and a very good incentive for people to think outside of conventional channels for power when buying or building a new home.
tracyanne

May 08, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
Scott is apparently fixing the issue, but if anyone wants the full article as a PDF I've added it to one of my Dropbox accounts as How Long is a Piece of String
Ridcully

May 08, 2012
7:29 PM EDT
That was most kind of you Tracyanne.....just tried your Dropbox item out and it is perfect. These "glitches" happen and are absolutely no-one's fault; least of all Scott's with everything he has on his plate. I'm certain I'd be far worse. :-)
Scott_Ruecker

May 08, 2012
8:55 PM EDT
I am a total dork and am going to try and get this fixed. I am away from my home computer till tonight when I will be able to fix all this..I owe Tony a HUGE apology..

Scott
bob

May 09, 2012
2:41 AM EDT
fixed
Ridcully

May 09, 2012
2:56 AM EDT
Looks fantastic Scott.
Scott_Ruecker

May 09, 2012
12:05 PM EDT
I owe Bob a big thank you, for some reason I could not find the missing text and get it up the way it should have been in the first place. Thank You Bob for making me look good. :-)

Scott
bob

May 09, 2012
4:22 PM EDT
No problem Scott. Keep up the good work.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!