Some bugs but it works

Story: The good and bad of Ubuntu 12.04 (part 2)Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Jonquil

May 12, 2012
2:11 PM EDT
Yeah, Ubuntu is one of the few operating systems that work on my laptop with its hybrid graphics system, too. 12.04 has been a mix of joy and pain for me. Joy on many of the new features, pain with my wireless driver eating up network bandwidth and Telepathy constantly crashing. Still, I've rigged a workable system from it. :)
ubuuser

May 12, 2012
8:25 PM EDT
@Jonquil For me too. Some bugs I posted like brightness had already been fixed, but I had placed some startup commands that would take brightness level to say 5 out of 10 every time I boot. I was stupid to not check my startup scripts. And when I was there I found chrome had been ticked to start at boot too. So both of those bugs (3, 7) had already been fixed. I hope they will fix other bugs too, without breaking previous fix as Ubuntu matures.
caitlyn

May 12, 2012
8:39 PM EDT
Funny, I have the opposite experience. My wireless on the netbook works out of the box on most distros nowadays but not Ubuntu. It can be made to work after much tinkering, but it doesn't work as well as with others. Ditto one HP printer I have which I've written about before. Great out of the box on many distros, always a pain with Ubuntu and they never fix the bug which has been open for something like four releases now. The reason I don't like Ubuntu is that they have more regressions and more bugs with my hardware than anyone else.
keithcu

May 13, 2012
1:10 AM EDT
This is a good article. Each bug is an impediment to greater adoption of Linux. It is generally good enough, but needs to get better. With distros that are now 100M lines of code, we need high quality.
caitlyn

May 13, 2012
1:38 AM EDT
By your standards, keithcu, nobody would adopt Windows because of bugs. There is no perfect operating system. Never has been, never will be.
gus3

May 13, 2012
5:28 AM EDT
IOW, every OS sucks. Some just suck less.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!