Welcome to my paradigm

Story: Paradigm ShiftTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
Ridcully

May 15, 2012
6:32 PM EDT
What this writer is putting forward is simply how I have always operated. Linux has always been freedom for me and the ability to change my desktop to work how I like it....but apart from that, my use of it has always been at the GUI, not the CLI.....apart from the occasional side trip to install rpms at the command line. Over a decade ago, I selected SuSE as my desktop and forgot all about building a system from scratch with Gentoo, or tinkering with many of the other flavours that appeared in large numbers. Computer tinkering has never appealed to me - I like things to just run. Mind you, occasionally I thoroughly enjoy fighting my way through a series of problems in getting things to run the way I want, as witness my documented struggles with KDE4.

So, Linux has always been convenience, not tinkering; freedom from viruses, not payments to antiviral companies; the pleasure of being different in a Microsoft dominated world on the desktop (not elsewhere, especially now, Android for instance); the fact that it was free rarely entered my mind and in those early years I happily paid out dollars for the marvellous packages of disks and manuals that SuSE produced. Conceptually, I very strongly approved the concepts of open source and the GPL as against the closed source products of proprietary companies. And finally, there was the fact that always, always, I could get a job done easily, quickly and without fuss. So, Muratcan ?im?ek, welcome to my paradigm.

On another matter, I know it is awfully avant garde and apparently "easier on the eyes" to put up articles in white print on a black background, but honestly, as far as I am concerned, it just makes it harder to read and is quite annoying. FFox allows you to render the page with no style and there is easily readable black text on a white background. I haven't looked but does Chrome allow you to do that too ?
tracyanne

May 15, 2012
6:45 PM EDT
Personally, I thought the article more than a little incoherent
Ridcully

May 15, 2012
7:01 PM EDT
Yes tracyanne, that too.
Khamul

May 15, 2012
8:04 PM EDT
No, if you want easy on the eyes, you need green text on a black background. There's nothing "avant garde" about it; it's simple human anatomy, plus that was the way computers were long ago before the color monitor became popular.
Ridcully

May 15, 2012
9:20 PM EDT
@Khamul.....okay already, and I loved amber on black which is what I mostly remember, not the green on black. I recall amber was very soothing to the eyes. However, black text on a white background always seems easier to read for me personally. I put "easier on the eyes" in quotes not to show my ridicule, but to emphasise, because apparently as you note above it white text on black really is better to lessen eye strain etc. Nevertheless, I personally find white text on a black background extremely off-putting and difficult to read. Just individual differences.....

"Avant garde" ? In this case it's my impression of someone wanting to be different and awfully "way in front of the mob" with his presentation. I don't particularly like it, but I am sure that just like your good self, I'll go to the wall for his right to do so if he wants. :-)
djohnston

May 15, 2012
9:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Personally, I thought the article more than a little incoherent

I tend to give the author a little slack if I can see s/he is not a native English speaker. From his Profilimin, he appears to be Turkish.
gus3

May 15, 2012
9:55 PM EDT
@Ridcully, IIRC, FreeType still has some issues with any text-on-background color combination that isn't black on white. That may account for your difficulty reading it, if you're using Linux.
caitlyn

May 15, 2012
11:06 PM EDT
Um... GNOME 3 and Unity are essentially the same desktop paradigm. Ubuntu always let you choose different desktops and customize them to your heart's content. Granted Unity isn't as customizable but the other desktop choices are still there. To claim that Ubuntu ever gave you less ability to customize and do your own thing than Arch did is nonsense. In other words, the article is nonsense.

Ridcully, you say lots of things I can relate to and agree with. I just don't see where they relate to this article :)
Ridcully

May 16, 2012
12:40 AM EDT
Hi Caitlyn....well, I got the impression that his general drift was that lately he has moved from the "geek area of building and getting into the nutz and boltz of Linux and doing things at the CLI" into the rather different area of "just using something that works when you install it in order to get a job done." And that is what I have almost always been doing since I started using Linux many years ago - more or less.....Hence my concept that he has moved to what I have always been doing......It was simply my interpretation. I've never used either Arch or Gentoo or any of the other "experimental/explorational" versions of Linux, so it's an area that I cannot comment upon in any depth. I know my limits.

@djohnston....I certainly take your point, but honestly, it's not an aspect I even vaguely thought about, least of all to criticize his application of English......some of the articles you have to fight your way through are far, far worse and I simply read what he intended....or I thought that's what I got.

Gus3....accepted, but honestly, it's just a "person thing". I just don't like it in the same way I can't stand to eat tripe and onions.........and others love it.
BernardSwiss

May 16, 2012
1:11 AM EDT
@Ridcully, Gus3

I find my taste for whether I prefer dark on light, or light on dark, depends largely on two things: the font, and the lighting conditions (my current location is somewhat annoyingly variable, according to time of day and weather

-- so I may switch back and forth on sites that offer the option, and fiddle with my monitor settings otherwise.

djohnston

May 16, 2012
1:40 AM EDT
Quoting:@djohnston....I certainly take your point, but honestly, it's not an aspect I even vaguely thought about, least of all to criticize his application of English......some of the articles you have to fight your way through are far, far worse and I simply read what he intended....or I thought that's what I got.

Not a problem, Ridcully. I was quoting tracyanne. 8>)
GERGE

May 16, 2012
2:21 AM EDT
I changed colors a bit for now, I will work on it later more. Thanks for your help.

What I meant was not that Ubuntu gives less power to customize or how Gnome 3 and Ubuntu is different (I thought I even implied that they are the same), what I tried to say was what Ridcully said: ...general drift was that lately he has moved from the "geek area of building and getting into the nutz and boltz of Linux and doing things at the CLI" into the rather different area of "just using something that works when you install it in order to get a job done".

If I was incoherent, I apologize. I never had an education of English, I learned it by myself, mostly from a dictionary and various novels. I guess I am writing this blog in English to better my understanding of English.
HoTMetaL

May 16, 2012
3:23 AM EDT
@GERGE: For being entirely self-taught, your ability to communicate in English is far, far better than many others written by native English speakers & authors I've read. I'm actually impressed with your understanding of this complex language.
tracyanne

May 16, 2012
3:26 AM EDT
Don't let me discourage you GERGE, English is my native language, and I don't write articles because I often don't make a lot of sense.
jacog

May 16, 2012
4:57 AM EDT
I got a pair-o'-dimes too, but y'just can't buy a thing with that these days.
Ridcully

May 16, 2012
5:27 AM EDT
@GERGE.....you are an absolute delight. Do keep contributing, writing articles and sharing with the LXer site. I can understand everything you have put in print whether it is colloquial or not and I am sure everybody feels the same. Honestly, you make me envious - I'm a one language English speaking person with a smattering of French, but I wouldn't DARE to write an article in that language. And Jacog, that is the most dreadful pun of all times - I *like* it !! LOL.
helios

May 16, 2012
7:51 PM EDT
and I don't write articles because I often don't make a lot of sense.

He!! TA, don't let that stop you....hasn't discouraged me a bit.
gus3

May 16, 2012
8:38 PM EDT
@helios, you make sense, despite your best efforts otherwise.
caitlyn

May 16, 2012
8:41 PM EDT
So does tracyanne.
gus3

May 16, 2012
8:52 PM EDT
Awwww...

Group hug, everybody!

(Except tuxchick, she hates that mushy stuff.)
jdixon

May 16, 2012
9:56 PM EDT
> Group hug, everybody!

Ack. Ferret fur. My cats would never forgive me.
caitlyn

May 16, 2012
10:00 PM EDT
@jdixon: For the first time in 14 years there are no ferrets here. I lost Zephyr (age nine) to heart disease and Chin Soon (almost nine) to lymphoma back to back. I'll get some rescues or shelter ferrets in after a bit of break. I had both of those for eight years and losing them both really hurt.
tracyanne

May 16, 2012
11:31 PM EDT
Our eldest cat Wally died aged 23 last year, we had him cremated, they sent his ashes back in a nice Mahogany box , now he rides in pride of place in our Bus.
jdixon

May 17, 2012
6:14 AM EDT
> I lost Zephyr (age nine) to heart disease and Chin Soon (almost nine) to lymphoma back to back.

I'm sorry to hear that Caitlyn.

> Our eldest cat Wally died aged 23 last year,

Ditto, TA.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!