Who cares?

Story: Who Loves Ya, Linux Baby?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
mlmyers

May 21, 2012
7:28 PM EDT
Exactly what kind of "apps" was Mozilla going to provide that [your distribution of choice] doesn't?
flufferbeer

May 21, 2012
9:15 PM EDT
My question too! Maybe something similar to what Google Chrome has for its Google apps, or maybe vice versa: whichever is most optimized for the other ???

2c
tracyanne

May 21, 2012
9:31 PM EDT
Quoting:If all this sounds ridiculous, "it's because the whole concept is ridiculous," Hudson concluded. "Everywhere you look, there's YASASP: 'Yet Another Stupid App Store Proposal.' We need another App Store as much as a street corner with three Starbucks (Nasdaq: SBUX) needs a fourth."

It's the top down control mentality, Every "platform " provider has to have their own "App Store", or the Universe will implode.
BernardSwiss

May 21, 2012
9:46 PM EDT
Quoting: It's the top down control mentality, Every "platform " provider has to have their own "App Store", or the Universe will implode.

Maybe the "Top" is worried about shareholders' expectations, and feel obliged to demonstrate that they (ie. "top" management) are properly focused on improving earnings -- or at least not neglecting "low-hanging fruit" ?

(Yes -- purely speculative, I know.)
BernardSwiss

May 21, 2012
9:52 PM EDT
Incidentally, why should a browser web-app care much, what the underlying OS is?

What am I missing?
tracyanne

May 21, 2012
10:44 PM EDT
Mozilla's Windows versions use Windows APIs, so I'm assuming the Linux and Mac versions use APIs from the respective operating Systems. Hence the cost in time and labour, if not also money of developing for the respective operating systems
tracyanne

May 21, 2012
10:55 PM EDT
Quoting:... and feel obliged to demonstrate that they (ie. "top" management) are properly focused on improving earnings ...

In the case of Linux Operating Systems. the smartest move would be to get one's "platforms" applications included in the existing "App Store(s)". Howver, even though such a move could lead to lower overheads (labour, money, time), it would mean a considerable loss of control, so it is the least likely option chosen.

Though come to think of it, that may be why Mozilla isn't bothered creating an "App Store" for Linux. There are already a lot of Firefox addons included in Ubuntu and Linux Mint repositories already, for example
gus3

May 21, 2012
11:48 PM EDT
If the Boot2Gecko platform can gain any traction, then Mozilla may well set up an App Bazaar.
flufferbeer

May 22, 2012
12:34 PM EDT
@tracyanne,

"Though come to think of it, that may be why Mozilla isn't bothered creating an "App Store" for Linux. There are already a lot of Firefox addons included in Ubuntu and Linux Mint repositories already, for example"

I think you hit on something. Remember those websites in the mid to late 1990's that would require you to use M$ Internet Explorer ONLY to properly view their pages? Well once Linux and Mozilla's Firefox became much more popular, THAT Explorer requirement sure disappeared quickly! It's a similar thing here. Google's Chrome browser and Android have their respective Google services and Android store, and the iWhatevers have their Apple stores. FF doesn't NEED such higher overhead "App Stores" given the fact that more and more distro repositories can already provide those "apps" as FF addons. In this way, instead of the competitive BROWSERS forcing a hand in website design (as in the case of the internet Explorer), it's the competitive APPS in Linux distros that will force Mozilla's hand.

My 2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!